Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th December 2008, 07:13 AM   #1
Thomas123

Default NEW NP RS Racing sails

So what do you think about it?

I think it's mad. It looks like two sails in one.

Will that work? Or just marketing rubish?
Old 9th December 2008, 03:35 PM   #2
geo

To me it's always a matter of gains and costs.
Indeed the ability to "automatically" spill out excessive pressure is a desirable gain. Stabilizing the front part of the profile, I am not sure as it seems to me that modern cambered sails already have stability to spare.
Costs: the part of the sail affected by the counter-curvature gets an odd profile, probably non-efficient, as wetted surface is still all there and angle of attack is not reduced. Plus, by the pictures I see, this happens only in a small portion of the sail, and at batten #3 everything seems just as usual; so seems that such "mechanism" is actually working only down low, close to the sailor's body, where pressure can be easily controlled. Plus again, the area below the boom is reduced, and there is where most of the controllable power is usually generated. More, the sails look really ugly.
In the end, in my view: probably the same pressure reduction can be obtained by just sheeting out a tiny bit... so what use?
At this point, one could get the usual idea: change just for change, weird look, make people talk, marketing...
Well I have to admit I have never been a NP fan, so probably this has some influence in my views.On the other hand, my favourite brands are those that (hopefully/probably) would NEVER do anything the like. And this year expecially, looking at the news both in RS:R's and in my "favourite brand" comp sails, I am very very glad to have the views I have.

Last edited by geo; 9th December 2008 at 03:53 PM.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Thomas123

If this sail can handle more gusts and is more stable, you can simply take bigger size than the rest of the field and as a result, you will go faster.
I am not fan of any sailmaker (personnaly I think it is stupid to be fan of any company, unless you have some shares in it obviously), I just want the best. To me this Dynamic Clew looks as the right way. Time will tell.

Thomas
Old 9th December 2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Steve711

Any link to the photo?
Steve711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Unregistered

It is on the neil pryde website
Old 9th December 2008, 08:52 PM   #6
crazychemical

is it me or did NP basicly add a spoiler to their sails??? What i don't get is how the battenend will be able to keep the S profile with a such speeds? Won't it be simply pushed back into the original curve at a certain speed? Or is this like NP indication that your just too overpowered at this point

And i agree with thomas123 to not be fan of one brand ... each brand has it's pro's and cons. I've said it before and i'll say it again: in the end it's always the rider that makes the set go, no matter how much technology is in it.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Floyd

Cool Dynamic Clew ??? Surely Dymamic Leech (Or is it Leach?)

Dont like the BS name (the clew is no more dynamic than on any other sail ; is it ?) but it seems to me its simply the next step with twist off sails. In past sails twisted off to perhaps 3rd batten down (and kept drive in luff both above and below that point;(with well designed;rigged ones ). Will this design allow sail to twist off over its entire leech?? NP seem to think it will. They are normally right ?

Have you noticed that even though sails are advertised as having a bigger range year on year we still have to carry 5 of them (at least?!) to cover all winds. No manufacturer is ever going to produce a sail which would seriously reduce this. Why sell a sailor 3 sails when he will buy 5 ????

I`ve been WS 25 (+) years. I think I carry more sails now than I ever did, even though I own all the "gadgets" ??? I can now carry an 11 in 20 knots but frankly dont want to. We will never get away from right sail size for given sailor/weight/skil/conditions/board/comfort.

I suppose just because you can use a 9 metre when you should have a 7 on doesn`t mean you will choose the 9.(and bin the 7) ( I wouldn`t anyway; but I stopped racing years ago !!)

Seems a logical positive step to me.Looking forward to trying one !!

Thinking about it Dynamic Clew is better name too. Who would buy a sail named after a garden slug ???
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Farlo

Hi everyone, what is really new there? This concept seems to have been around for some years already. Is NP the first to describe how the sail moves? For sure they have been thinking about drag and lift. Maybe the point is not better control in gusts but more acceleration due to the improved profile. Also I wonder if this could reduce clew line adjustments. The rigging video still show some.

Last edited by Farlo; 10th December 2008 at 05:21 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 06:33 PM   #9
andretsin

Send a message via MSN to andretsin

Hi,
there are two radical different concepts mixed here. The twist in the upper part of the sail has a bigger purpose than that one of giving control in gusts. That part of the sail work like the winglets of airplane wings. It reduces induced drag. Because having nerarly zero attack angle it makes that the diference of pressure between one side and the other of the sail is reducing until it's nearly the same at the top so that vortex almost don't appear.
It's true that in gusts it also helps when is bended to leeward. And this is what NP is pretending. I always think we have to look to nature. How are the wings of birds? Do they bend in the leach? They do in the top! So, I'm not against this this new design. We will have to wait for it's results.
An other thing wich was not correct at all is to think that is not good to loose surface below the boom. Yo must know there is a big gradient of wind in first 10m from the surface up. It means, in the surface the wind is almost zero because of friction with the ground. It increases it's speed until 30m. After that you can consider that is almost uniform. But in first 10m is where you find the biggest change. That is why an official measure of the wind must be taken at 10m of the ground. With all this i mean that is not a problem to loos surface of the sail in the lowest part. Even more, it would be interesting to study if this lower part is contribuiting to propulsion or it's friction is bigger than the propulsion it mades.
Ah! one more thing. Battens are strong enought to hold this part of the sail. Do you thing the sail makes lot of force? Just divide the force you make with your body in the boom (30kg aprox.) by all the 10sq meters. Is 30g every 10x10cm. I think is not so much. Battens will withstand it.
andretsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 04:22 AM   #10
Unregistered

Andre LeFevre did this years ago. Great over powered, but S-L-O-W due to tremendous induced drag - the reflexed portion of the sail produces zero lift, but still contributes to form drag, friction, AND parasitic drag.