Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 11th December 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
juan1

Default isonic 94 for bumpandjump?

i have a wave 82 ltrs, that cover 5mtrs down, can I use my isonic 94 for bump and jump whith 5,8 when its two wavy for slalom sailing?
i dont want to buy another board like a freewave 90 so I think in use my isonic whith a freewave fin like 28? and simply freewave bump and jump
do you think the board will acept this tipe of sailing?
reagrds juan1
juan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 12:47 AM   #2
steveC

Hi juan1,

While I don't have an iS94, for many years I have been using my slalom boards in rougher open ocean sailing, and I also do some wave sailing with them too. Quite a few of the spots I sail require use of a weed fin due to kelp and eelgrass, so I have a a more classic 24cm low aspect wave fin with a very small ramp at the leading edge. This fin frees up the handling quite a bit, but it makes the board somewhat slower overall. At some other spots that are free of weeds, I'll stick with my Tectonic Goldwings 34 and 36cm fins. Surprisely, they do pretty good in the waves too, but I have to be cautious of the rocky bottom in close. A few months ago I messed up my original 36cm fin hitting the bottom, and had to buy a new one. Fortunately, the finbox held up.

The one thing I try to keep to a minimum is jumping. Although it's hard to avoid some jumping in rougher ocean conditions, the outboard strap positioning doesn't give one the same kind of control of the board when deliberately going for high jumps. Also, there is the big question whether the iSonic is built to handle the stresses that larger jumps might induce. I would really tend to doubt it. In my opinion, that would be your greatest risk in true jump and bump conditions. I would think that if you concentrate on keeping the board down and avoid big ramps you should be fine.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Juan1,

S-Type, Kombat or Kode are truly B&J boards that are designed and built to withstand high jumps (not flat landing of course...). However, iSonic are not. Simply look at the weight of these board and you will understand why the heavier ones are the most durable for B&J.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Screamer

Hi Juan1
I have a mate (95kg racer), who uses his iS96 in 20-30knots, large chop and swell. He isn't very gentle with his boards, but this one held fine for a couple of seasons (of course jumping is kept to a minimum). I've tried it, but when it gets hectic, I prefer slower, more playful Kombat.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 10:47 AM   #5
davide

Default Hot Sails SuperFreak

The fin will help to tame it down, but even more would be nice to have a soft sail. I have a CA Slalom 52 (87 liters) and one day I was stuck with it (left home without my B&J boards). I took it out with my Hot Sails SuperFreak UL 4.7 and ... bingo, I had a nice session instead of a corrida: the sail made everything ultra-easy and controllable.

It would not be optimal, but I think you can get away with a slalom for B&J (with little jumping) especially in 95-105L conditions. Below 5.5 with a lot of chop it might be just too little fun ...

Last edited by davide; 15th December 2008 at 10:57 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote