Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 19th December 2008, 09:23 PM   #1
luis_martino

Default NP/Gaastra vs. Naish

hi everybody,
which sail would you recomend for me? I am 85 kg, 1,81 mts and 45 years old (intermediate sailor).
I own a Gaastra GTX 9.8 (05) and a NP Saber 7,2 (06). I sail from 10 knots on in flatwater (if very windy, some waves and high choppy).
As bankers ruined me, I made the decision to spend my last bucks in myself and revamp my quiver. I found reasonble prices for two sails and need some advise. The idea would be to change the Saber 7.2 (06) for a Naish Boxer SL 7.0 (08) (I use this sail with a carve 111) and the GTX 9.8 (05) for a Naish Red Line 9.0 (08) (to use it with a F 148, perhaps an Isonic 133!!). What do you think? Any thoughts, experiences you might share?
Thank you
Luis
luis_martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 03:48 PM   #2
John Kemsley

Hi Luis

Not part of the team but I have two Redlines a 7 and an 8.2, very good sails perhaps just not as fast as a Tush lightning or Warp but really nice to use

John
John Kemsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 02:40 AM   #3
PG

As usual, the masts are the key. What masts are you planning to use? The Boxer SL is cut for a RDM, probably relatively stiff top. And the Redline probably requires an average bend curve SDM mast.

I have from magazine tests understood that the redline is designed with a "top ef the wind range emphasis". The new GTX sails are probably more powerful in light winds.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 04:52 AM   #4
luis_martino

Many thanks for your answers.
PG, I have a powerex 30 % carbon SDM mast. The one that I use at present with my Saber 7.2 (2005). And, at first, not planning to change the mast. And my GTX is 2005.
John, I appreciatte your comments.
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:15 PM   #5
PG

Personally I would avoid the Boxer Slalom unless I had a RDM mast. But a Naish Sprint would probably work well on your Powerex. And the Powerex SDM bend curve should work with larger Naish sails as well. Unless the somewhat larger diameter of the 30% mast, as compared to the recommended 75-100%, causes rotation problems. Testrigg if you can!
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 05:36 AM   #6
luis_martino

PG, if I decide to add a RDM to my quiver, would it fit to the rest of my old sails?
Have a Happy New Year!!