Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 26th December 2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default 1 board solution

Hi,

what would you suggest for a 1 board + 2 sail solution (cannot buy more than that)? I'm 1,88m, 94kg and will windsurf in 10-20knots wind.

I was thinking about the Isonic 122 because it says it can handle sails up to 9,5. Would a isonic 122 + 9.0m be a sinker at my weight? Want to be sure I can windsurf back if wind drops.

Water conditions: usually flat but some chop if wind gets stronger (over 15 knots). Summer is there and I'm looking forward to start asap.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Chris Pressler

Hi,
the iSonic 122 will cover an extremely wide windrange, also for you. You have some weight, but you will have fun with the 9,0. Just if the wind is very light you would have an advantage with one size bigger. You will not sink with the 9,0 and the 122. Th eboard is 75 cm wide and sits very stable in the water. Definitely you will enjoy the board more in 13 knots+.
Hope it helps,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 12:33 AM   #3
crazychemical

hmm Chris, be carefull with what you say. The IS are known to have a smaller volume then mentioned and I, with my 92 kilograms sink on boards <125 liters. So i do think he'll sink on the IS122. Though, if you can waterstart it, there should be no problem, you just have to learn to skate a bit so that you can at least stand on the board after a waterstart without it going strait to the ground (so you'll need a bit off pull from the sail none the less, but subplanning is good enough).
But as a one board solution the IS122 for a 94 K sailor is ideal. I use a 113 L board for 14-22 knots, so i do think a 122 could cover 10-20 with such a sailrange. Before i had the 113 i used my GO139 for 10-22 knots and that worked quite well, now i only use it for 12-17 knots because any harder and i start to feel more relaxed on a smaller board.
Old 27th December 2008, 01:10 AM   #4
Chris Pressler

Hi Crazychemical,
thanks for your post. The 122 has some liters less, 114 or 113, but would aestimate that you do not sink if there is some wind. I only have around 83-84 kg and with th ewetsuit more. My 101 for stance - the board measures around 96 l - does not sink.
Sure, a 9,0 has a lot of weight, too and also makes a difference if you sail on sweet or salty water and if you wear a wetsuit.

But itīs cool that you can recommed the 122 for 10 knots plus. So, would you recommend the 122 instead of a bigger sized board?
Thanks,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 02:15 AM   #5
Unregistered

Default hinken sharlow

Hi Chris, Crazychemical,

thanks for the comments. I consider myself experienced (but very very far from pro) and would say waterstart shouldn't be a problem. I just want to make sure that if wind drops I can sail back, even if it is not enough for a waterstart. Where I sail the wind sometimes drops quite fast. Had some not so "interesting" experiences with my previous 100l board. (though, I always managed to somehow sail back).

I was considering the 133l, but when the wind gets stronger I'm concerned it will not handle the chop very well. I'm sailing on salty water and it can get quite chopy when the wind picks up.
Old 27th December 2008, 05:09 AM   #6
Floyd

Red face Futura

Sorry for being contradictory but there is no such thing as a one board solution.Its a one board compromise;and I wouldnt choose an all out speed/slalom board as that compromise. Might give most time on water but not the "best" time on water. Go for board which gives most enjoyable time in prevailing conditions.(Choppy sea) I`d forget Isonic; Futura 122 would be better " compromise". Difference in speeds (in real terms) is almost insignificant. (Dont forget in racing 2 feet over 200 metres can be significant but loads of other qualities have to be lost to gain what are actually very small (but real)performance advantages.
Try a few boards. All out slalom boards are not really "fun" in challenging conditions.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 04:07 PM   #7
crazychemical

i'm not saying you should be planning but i don't think a 90 K + sailor could uphaul a 9.0 sail on the IS122. You'll always need a bit of pull from the sail to compensate for a couple of kilo's. When i'm surfing my 113 and the wind drops and i lose the minimal pull from the sail it's over, i'm swimming, but over the years i've learned how to balance the board to it's max (minimum wind) so i can sail it back in like 10 knots with a 7.6 (if i fall in though, it's game over)
@ floyd: if the man wants an IS, let him get one. The futuras are a compromise on their own. Some sailors don't enjoy a much to comfortable ride and like a more technical one.
All in all i think the IS is his better choice, but if he can test a few boards first, by all means do. Though i have yet to find a dealer that lets me test a board before i buy it.
Old 27th December 2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Waiting4wind

Ok I'm curious now, what's the real volume of the IS111 ??, For my 90kg it seems to slog well with both my 7.8 and 9m, you just need to be careful not to bury the nose.
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Unregistered

Default 1 board solution

Hi creazychemical,

I think your answer was exactly what I was looking for. I also have the feeling I won't be able to uphal a 9,0m (or at least it will needs lots of effort) if wind is not enough for waterstart. Guess the conclusion is that for 1 board solution (or compromise) the 122 is the best choice/windrange or I then go for 2 boards, 1 somewhat bigger (144 or formula) and 1 somewhat smaller (111). Main problem is that I don't have anywhere to store 2 boards and my wife woudn't be too happy to have a board in our living room. :-)

To floyd, I appreciate your comments but I have been sailing for over 10 years now and I don't really like the bigger freeride board feeling. For lower volumes (105l and less) it is quite ok since it also alllows me some jumps, but don't really like it for bigger volumes where you won't jump anyways, then I just want to go fast.

Also must say that I don't know any seller that would allow me to test the boards beforehand. Where I live there is no option to rent boards, so I unfortunately will have to buy and hope for the best.
Old 27th December 2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Floyd

Red face Gooid luck

Dont quite see the pooint in posing a question and then looking for response you want !!

Anyhow; I can see arguments for Isonic but I do think as a one board (compromise)you`d be missing out on a whole section of windsurfing.Your point re-jumping exactly true for Isonic; I wouldn`t want to jump one. (not saying its impossible though but at best not advised)
Bigger kodes; Futuras and others of similar ilk ;jump fantastic.(Biggest jump I`ve ever seen was on a Hawk 123 (it was sailed by French Wave champion at time though) .

Isonics etc thrive on committment and drive.You cant set one up to sail over centre line and "play" with an upright stance .(learning techniques you`ll need on a wave board) Futura /Hawk/Eagle/Rocket etc are at their best like this. And when it comes to blasting move straps outboard and have a go at that to ! I really dont think 99% of us would be any slower on this type of board than on such as FX`s and Isonics. ( extra comfort/control counts for a lot even in speed mode.)
Dont forget its 75cm wide and under 120 lires !!!Thats for a reason and has consequences.
If I were you I`d go for around 125 litres/68cm wide .It woulkd be far more versatile.

I think you will regret going for Isonic.I would and I enjoy going fast aswell.

Personally dont think Futura is a compromise.The Isonic would be a massive one.
But if you want one they are fantastic at doing what they were designed for.

Good luck whatever you do.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote