Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th December 2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Floyd

Talking Web site versus reality Sail Sizes ???

Seems to be a large anomoly in sail sizes choice between web sites and reality.

I spend a lot of time around Leucate (which is a fairly strong wind venue;wind often in excess of 25 knots).Most people there dont even own sails bigger than around 6 metre.In 30 knots sailors are on 4 metre sails.(On sea; perhaps 5`s on lake) Sailors on website here change down to 6.7`s at 30 knots ???
Whats going on ???
Think there`s a lot of virtual sailing going on.

And whilst I`m moaning (Christmas is over !)
How many sponsored sailors are there nowadays. I remember days when there was Robby and Bjorn. There`s hundreds now. (Not many by F2 now though !)
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 08:51 PM   #2
crazychemical

i agree. When the wind here in Holland goes over 25 knots most people are on 5.5ish sails. Very few still sail 6.5 sails in those conditions and the freestyle guys are on 4.5ers. When we hit the rare 30+ knots everyone is down to 4.2 or 4.7 at maximum. When i hear of sailors pulling 7's at 26 knots of wind i tend not to believe them. I've sailed my 6.2 in a rising 25 knots and i could barely controle it for 100 meters. I was in plane right away but it was no fun sailing and i made some seriously painfull catapults so no way i'm ever doing that again ...

ps floyd why does it bothere you that there are so many sponsored sailors? See it as a good thing ;-) if you get good results you're now more then ever able to get yourself a little contract ;-)
Old 29th December 2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Caribsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Sailors on website here change down to 6.7`s at 30 knots ???
Whats going on ???
Think there`s a lot of virtual sailing going on.
Can you link to some example of virtual sailing?

Cant it be that this guys use bigger boards or?
I don't know Iam pretty new to the sport.

My main question for you is:
Why do I get the felling that you don't like sponsor sailors?

Isn't that good that pros help the the development of new boards and as test riders.
I guess that they don't just give them a bunch of boards and say.
-Here you are and of you go have some fun.
They for sure committed to do a lot of work for the company's that sponsor them.

Ps.Yes, thank god Christmas is over.
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Floyd

Cool

Obviously don`t dislike sponsored sailors and if I`d had chance/ability etc etc I would have taken up opportunity myself.
But
I wonder exactly who pays ?
Ultimately us.
And
There`s a balance between sponsoring sailors for progress / getting your product known/offering opportunity on the one hand and achieving domination through a sophisticated sponsorship programme on other.Wonder where windsurfing is ???

I do think there is a fair bit of the latter going on .

New sailors do look at race results and take notice of some of the "claims" on this site .Neither of which have anything to to do with 99% of the sailing going on. Go to any popular coastal sailing venue.
a) What size sails will be used in 20 knots ? (6 ish? and less if poss)
b) How many Formula/Speed/Outright slalom boards will you see ?(Probably none !)

I spend lots of time on East Coast UK. Never ever see Formula.Most common board 105 litre all round.Biggest sail anybody tries to use; 8 ish.(Sails carried tend to be 4 to 7 ) Exactly same Leucate. More so Feurteventura/Lanzarote/Greece.
Lots of sailors around Leucate have biggest sails of under 6 !

This is not the picture picked up on here !

I
Old 29th December 2008, 11:03 PM   #5
crazychemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post

New sailors do look at race results and take notice of some of the "claims" on this site .Neither of which have anything to to do with 99% of the sailing going on. Go to any popular coastal sailing venue.
a) What size sails will be used in 20 knots ? (6 ish? and less if poss)
b) How many Formula/Speed/Outright slalom boards will you see ?(Probably none !)

I spend lots of time on East Coast UK. Never ever see Formula.Most common board 105 litre all round.Biggest sail anybody tries to use; 8 ish.(Sails carried tend to be 4 to 7 ) Exactly same Leucate. More so Feurteventura/Lanzarote/Greece.
Lots of sailors around Leucate have biggest sails of under 6 !

I fully agree to the upper part. Very few sailors will be using sails over 6.5 in 20 knots. Maybe the heavier guys like me but even I with my 94 K give up on my 7.6 when i'm hanging on by a thread so to speak in 20 knots. I've had it in 22 knots once and i was glad i could trimm it to accomodate that wind but it was exhausting, scary as ***** and dangerous.
However, floyd, you are forgetting that not everyone has the luxary of a spot near the sea or on the sea. Furthermore not everyone wants to wave/freestyle. The people that have so sail more inland are nothing with a 105 L unless they weigh like 60 kilo. So when they consider this and want to maximise their sailing they would choose to buy formula and/or slalomgear.
Though i none the less find it odd when i hear of people sailing 7.5 in 30 knots ... dude, you're nuts ...
Old 30th December 2008, 01:40 AM   #6
Floyd

Wink

Fair point Crazychemical.

Would be good to see overall sales of equipment so we could get a picture of the "typical" windsurfer and her/his equipment.

Reading on here you sometimes build a picture of this "typical" sailor sailing Isonics and/or Formula with 10 metre+ sails. ?? Not seen an Isonic in regular use yet !!! (A sponsored sailor had one in Fuerte !!!)

Anyhow back to my gripes .

A) Too many sponsored sailors.
b) Exagerated claims about sail sizes and windstrength. (Why bother making sub 5 metre sails.Nobody needs them anymore !!!)

Warming up soon ! Need to go sailing !!!
Old 30th December 2008, 02:46 AM   #7
crazychemical

on the second hand market here in holland there are two main selling boardtypes: Slalom/speed(mainly the Sb (I/hyper)sonics and the fanatic falcons) and wave boards. After those there are the freeride boards. Very few formula boards.
Personally i'd buy and IS if i had the money but i don't so i stick with freeride and wave boards. You should really come to inland lakes here in holland, loads of isonics on the water here. But then again, loads of sponsored sailors (board shop sponsors, partial board/sail sponsoring etc, very few real deal sponsored sailors)

Hope you enjoyed the session ... i'm waiting for wind here ... and for these bloody exams to be over

we should get more detailed wave sailor stories online! The reason why we're seeing all these ridiculous sail sizes is because when a slalom sailor gets a win, immediatly we get to hear what sizes he was sailing, what boards etc. when a wave sailor wins, we get to hear about his moves and his board/sail, not really the size he was sailing in what conditions.
Old 30th December 2008, 03:10 AM   #8
Per

I guess it depends a lot on your local conditions. In the year passed I've used Formula + 10.3 sail about 70% of the time, S-type 126 or Aero 127 with 8.5 20% of the time. The last 10% was on a 5.75 or maybe maxed 6.5. My 4.7 didn't leave the bag and I don't own a board smaller than 126 litres. The reason: I sail mostly on quite inland waters and I weigh around 100 kgs dressed up.
Anyway I feel comfortably with a 6.5 sail in 10 knots and maxed on my 8.5 in the same conditions. To me a 6.5 is quite small (as I use a 10.3 most of the time). I guess a lot depends on your weight. I often wonder if the "5.3 sail 102 litre board in 16 knots" guys aren't quite lightweight. I need a steady 25 knots and a 6.0 sail to get such a board working.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 03:23 AM   #9
Unregistered

Default Sail size vs windstrength

Hi guys,

Was reading this thread and thought to myself that this sounds like a case of people overestimating the wind strength. Quite a number of times down at my local beach people claim is X knots. Then you pull the wind meter out and its vastly different. Estimating wind strength by the water state depends on too many variables, wind direction, temperature, open water vs inland, tides etc..

I'm 65kgs and sail Formula, Wave and Slalom boards. In 15 knots wind I can use both Formula with 9.8m sail, Slalom 90ltrs with a 6.7m sail and a Wave board with a 5.4m sail.

The size of sail that you can hold depends largely on the board size and width.

Cheers
David
Old 30th December 2008, 03:24 AM   #10
Unregistered

Unhappy

You need 25 knots for 102 litres/6 metre at 94k !
Think you need a new board or a better anonometer !!

My Evo (92) works in 25 knots with a 5 and I`m 98 k !!