Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th January 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Anowan

Default Using the anti-twist plug on waveboard... or not ?

I recently got myself an Evil Twin 80, the lack of conditions to try it got myself thinking about trimming the board correctly.
Now I have one anti-twist plug missing in my accessory bag (the grey one containing the straps, screws , stickers and such). Also the 2009 waveboards back straps are now attached to the board via 4 inserts instead of two, but the anti-twist plugs are too wide to be placed side by side, they sit one on top of the other.
Meaning I would have to sand the plastic of the two closest plugs on one side so that they could sit next to each other .

But since I have one plug missing anyway, and that there are 4 inserts instead of two (preventing the backstrap from twisting in the first place), is it reasonable to just get rid of them for the backstrap ?
I'm asking because I heard the 2009 screws are longer this year, therefore going deeper in the insert, so I naively wondered if that could damage the board if I used the longer screws without the thickness of the antitwist plug...? (I know, just being extra careful with my new precious toy).
Or would it be wiser to just order a new plug at my shop, then go on with the sanding of the plastic ?

Thanks for any advice on the matter (unfortunately I'm not in a hurry to mount the straps yet, the forecast at my spot are low to no winds, with temperature below zero celsius, brrrrrrr)
Anowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello Anowan,
I would get a small rod (something like the refill out of a ball point pen if it will fit in the hole) and measure the depth of the holes in your inserts.
The new 2009 footstrap screws (for use with thicker anti-twist plates) are supposed to be 32 mm long.
The previous years (1998-2008) footstrap screws were 28 mm long.
If you measure the depth of the hole in your new board, and it's at least 30 mm deep, then with the thickness of the footstrap webbing and the oval toothed washer, you would be OK to use the new 32 mm footstrap screws.
If the hole is shallower (say 28 mm) I would either cut/grind the anti-twists to sit side by side, or add a washer or 2 on top of the oval toothed washer.
Did any oval toothed washers even come with your board?
Did you measure all of your footstrap screws to ensure that they are all 32 mm long?
If it concerns you too much, perhaps a stop at your nearest Starboard dealer to purchase 4 of the older 28 mm long FS screws would be a good idea.
I will bring this up with Tiesda and see if this is one of those "Gosh...we didn't think this through for the Evil Twin back footstrap" deals.
Thanks for the heads up!
Roger
P.S. Remember to rub a bar of soap on your footstrap screws before you install them for the first time. The soap serves as a lubricant and will allow the screws to cut really goos strong threads and also allow you to tighten them more securely.
Put them in, and after your first session on the Evil Twin, retighten them and that should take care of any foostrap issues for the life of your board.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Anowan

Hi Roger, thanks for replying so fast.

I have measured the depth of the back inserts' holes, they are 25 mm deep.
Add to that the pads which are around 7 mm thick, and that comes to 32 mm, the exact length of my 2009 screws. But the pads compress when you install the straps.

The board didn't have the oval toothed washers, only the anti-twist plugs (which are supposed to replace the old oval washers I guess) and normal (thin) circular washers inside the straps, one per screw.
The thickness of one strap plus the washer is "roughly" around 13 mm (hard to measure exactly), meaning I should be fine as long as the pad compression when the strap is fully fixed on the board doesn't exceed those 13mm, but I doubt it...
what do you recon ?

Has anyone here installed the straps on his 2009 waveboard without the anti-twist plugs ? And if yes is it alright ?
Old 5th January 2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I've installed without the K9 (anti twist) washers on one board, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it, just like you. No problems yet though. On other boards I either used the old screw (shorter) or just added about 2mm stainless washer above the strap instead. The K9 washer is in fact not very thick and it makes the pad and strap compress "locally" just under the washer a bit more, so I doubt it adds more than 2mm.

But on most of my boards I just mounted with both the K9 washers not worrying about that they intersect a little. That works too.

One thing: If you take out the screw from the strap (to fx add a washer), be sure to screw it into the strap as far as possible before trying to screw it into the board. Even with the new longer screw, it is good to have as much screw length as possible go into the plug before the strap contacts the board and start "resisting".
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 04:56 AM   #5
Anowan

Thanks Ola, I might add a couple of washers to gain 2mm of thickness, then I'll have around 34 mm to tighten the 32 mm screw, hoping the pad doesn't compress too much...

anybody else have this problem (if it is one ?) ?
Old 7th January 2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

There is already one washer on top, so with another 2mm washer you'll have like 29mm left for the 25mm (as you measured it) hole. It is highly unlikely that the strap and pad together will compress to only 4mm.

But if you worry about it, just mount with the K9 washers and get a spare from the shop if one is missing.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Anowan

I think I'll do that, thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 05:40 PM   #8
oleping

Default Accessory Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anowan View Post
I recently got myself an Evil Twin 80, the lack of conditions to try it got myself thinking about trimming the board correctly.
Now I have one anti-twist plug missing in my accessory bag (the grey one containing the straps, screws , stickers and such). Also the 2009 waveboards back straps are now attached to the board via 4 inserts instead of two, but the anti-twist plugs are too wide to be placed side by side, they sit one on top of the other.
Meaning I would have to sand the plastic of the two closest plugs on one side so that they could sit next to each other .

But since I have one plug missing anyway, and that there are 4 inserts instead of two (preventing the backstrap from twisting in the first place), is it reasonable to just get rid of them for the backstrap ?
I'm asking because I heard the 2009 screws are longer this year, therefore going deeper in the insert, so I naively wondered if that could damage the board if I used the longer screws without the thickness of the antitwist plug...? (I know, just being extra careful with my new precious toy).
Or would it be wiser to just order a new plug at my shop, then go on with the sanding of the plastic ?

Thanks for any advice on the matter (unfortunately I'm not in a hurry to mount the straps yet, the forecast at my spot are low to no winds, with temperature below zero celsius, brrrrrrr)
hey,
were did you bought the Accessory Bag for starboard.. cant find it anywere om the net..

please help!

Ole Petter - norwegian surfer
oleping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Ole,
To the best of my knowledge, you cannot "buy" the accessory bag seperately.
The accessory bag comes packed with each new board.
Why are you bringing up a 2 year old thread?
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote