Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 5th January 2009, 04:06 AM   #1
windjunky

Default lookin for a new board

hello,
Right now im sailing a mistarl malibu 160(my family's) and shark 145(in my club),
im lookin to buy a new board to improve my skills. I know to tack, gybe get into both footstraps use harness and do beachstarts and helitacks. im 17.5yo and weigh 65kgs.
The conditions in home beach are usually force 3-4 and in the right seasons it might go up to force 5. I own a NS drive 5.8 and a 4.5 (for my lil bros).
Any suggetions from your range? looking for a freeride/style and maybe small waves if possible no slalom/race.
thx a lot
windjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 02:11 AM   #2
crazychemical

sounds like you could do with a SB kombat or Kode (new kombats) of around 105 L. They're the mix between freeride and freestyle/wave with the bigger boards beeing more freestyle/freeride oriented and the smaller ones (87<) beeing more freestyle/wave oriented. all in all good speed and good manouvrabilety with different footstrap positions for different conditions.

grtz
Old 6th January 2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Windjunky,
OK, let's see F 3-4 Bft is 7 knots- 16 knots.... Force 5 Bft is 17-21 knots.
It will be a little tough to select one board that works throughout this entire range, but I agree with CC here the Kode is probably the best "all around" board, but it won't be much fin in 7-12 knots with a 5.8 m2 rig.
A larger Kode would be good, but that's going to require a larger rig for lighter winds.
Overall at 65 Kg. (143 lbs.) the Kode 102 or 112 would be really good with your 5.8 m2 rig in 16 knots up to 21 knots.
A Futura in the same size would be good as well, with a bit better overall range and easier learning curve.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 08:49 PM   #4
windjunky

im still planning to keep the malibu so i probably wont use the new board in lighter days. is the kode 1-2 the right size? i cant waterstart yet. btw i find the 5.8 too hard for me in 20 knots and im planing to buy a new sail anyway. should i buy a 5.0 for windy days or a 6.5/7 for light days? maybe sell the 5.8 and buy both? what's your opnion?
thanks alot for all the advices
windjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 10:08 PM   #5
crazychemical

if you don't want to sink what you should do is add 40 to your weight, this will give you a good volume indication, so for you 105 L should be a good volume on which you can still uphaul your sail. The 112 with your weight might be a bit hard to controle in 20 knots but it's doable. I manage to controle my 139 L board (with 94 Kilo when i last sailed it) in 21 knots but after that it's hell, i once tried 26 knots but thats for a recreational sailor near impossible. However, the 112 will be a good choice for 12-17 knots, perhaps even 18.
As for sails, with the windstrengths you listed i'd say you would be better of with a freestyle rig of 6.8-7 m for the light days. These sails are light and have lots of controle and power so you can sail them for a long time without having to change and once you've gotten a good level and you want to try new stuff you won't have to buy new gear because you bought a down the line freeride rig in the past. A 5.0 with your weight would probably be ideal for 19-22 knots.

cheers
Old 8th January 2009, 02:33 AM   #6
leysenkr

I started windsurfing 3 years ago. Last year i bought myself a SB Aero 117L (2006). To pull up your sail comfortably, you need width. My board was 71cm. 117L is also enough to prevent the sinking off 70kg, so easy to pull op my sails. I surfed from 5m to 8,5m on it. But i have to say that 8,5m is more comfortable on my 145L board.
I surfed till +6bft on this board with my 5m2 but it was hard working. For my 6m (5 bft) and 7m (4 bft) it was very comfortable surfing.
This year i sold my aero and bought myself a 2009 futura 101L. I sold it after being sure that i could surf the futura. On the futura it is much harder to pull up my sail, from 6bft it is almost impossible. Because off the lack off width and his lower volume. I hope i can improve my waterstarting fast after this winter ;-). So + 6bft ment undeep water for me for the last sessions. Two off my friends tried my board and said that it is easy to surf, very easy to handle in chop and very fast. They tried it at a windspeed of 5bft and 7, almost 8bft.

If, last year, I could buy present boards with my knowlegde from today.I would not have this 145L board, I would have bought myself a 122 futura instead off the aero because on these windspeeds, you probably want to make speed instead off turning and doing trics. It would also be a good set for a big windrange in the future (122L and 101L).

I think you have to make sure that you can cover as much windrange as possible without leaving a gap without forgetting to look into the future. You will choose your sail due to the windspeed and your board fitting your sail. Board meaning volume and width. 122 L and 72 cm for stability and surfing fun till 5bft.
For me the sum of windspeed in bft and sailsize = 11 fits perfect. So 5bft+6m= 11, 4bft+7m=11. (Quiver: 4,1;5;6;7;8,5)

For me the futura is much more comfortable to sail than the aero. I don't know if i can compare the Kode with the Aero. The Kode will probably my next step for smaller volume and harder windconditions.

I bought both boards above my surfing ability but a few times with a lot off swimming made me learn a lot and quick.

Last edited by leysenkr; 8th January 2009 at 02:48 AM.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 02:52 AM   #7
mim

Default on Aero...

Well I have a similar opinion in one thing...get a board that is currently a little bit above your current abilities...you will spent a few sessions for learning but it will come and then you will like it.

Aero: I do not thing you did good selling Aero 117 especially the one from 2006. It definetely is not a simple board, it has its own way. When I read in some post how to ride I love it from the first second on the water I used this technique.

Normally, I gues futare is the case, you try to kkep the board floating and accelerate continously, well that fine. But Aero likes it just different, you have to power up the sail, put your weight and foot pressure on the back foot and turn the board a little bit down-wind...and there comes the miracle, the board shoots out of water, willing just to fly, and it does.

And the note: I can comfotably uphaul sail on my Aero even in 6 bft wheather, and I am a kind of a big guy 95kg dry. But at the begging as I started with it it was horrible...nothing to do with the thickness, you just have to find out where to put your legs and how to handle chop.

The strategy is to get a board, and try to adapt the technique a little bit to what the board was designed to...it takes a while but it is worth it.

The examplpe is S-Type (it is pretty difficult board, but had a great potential) as well as Aero.

I would recommend you Kode 102 (you have to learn waterstarting anyway ).

Ciao Michal.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:31 PM   #8
leysenkr

The aero had 2 gears or needed a small wave to start planing without a small pull.

The difficulties for pulling up the sail at +6bft are on my futura 101, it was indeed no problem on the aero 117L at +6bft.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 01:10 AM   #9
mim

Default Aero...

Well I guess Aero has in fact 3 gears. The first one is something like planning without footstraps, or just easy planning on a beam reach when you are powered up just fine. The 2nd one is when you go downwind with a body tilted back on the tail...amazing accelaration. And the 3rd one might be hidden for low-weight sailors....it is the speed on a wave, a specially with off-shore winds and a nice 2 meter breaking wave behind you. It gets really fast...love the board.

Ciao M.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 11:39 PM   #10
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windjunky View Post
im still planning to keep the malibu so i probably wont use the new board in lighter days. is the kode 1-2 the right size? i cant waterstart yet. btw i find the 5.8 too hard for me in 20 knots and im planing to buy a new sail anyway. should i buy a 5.0 for windy days or a 6.5/7 for light days? maybe sell the 5.8 and buy both? what's your opnion?
thanks alot for all the advices
Here are some of my thoughts on that since I also weight 65 kg:

Buyoancy: Kombat 86 floats me well while Kombat 79 starts to sink a bit. So, your weight in liters + 20 liters makes a floater whereas your weight in liters + 15 liters makes a semi-sinker.

The transition from a big board down to a short board is tricky. Lateral stability to uphaul the sail is key; that is given by width and to a much lesser extend by volume. A 70 cm narrow but 309 cm long and beefy 170 liters big board will in fact be more tippy and rolling under my feets than a 77 cm wide Hypersonic 105 liters for example. What matters most is width, not much volume for a light weight like us.
So the questions to ask first are what are the width of the Malibu 160 liters and Shark 145 liters boards?

WRT sails, it does matters a lot how well the sail is trimmed. For my weight, the wind range of a 5.4 m2 sail is 20-25 knots while that of a 6.2 m2 is 15-20 knots. I suspect your 5.8 m2 sail is not enough downhauled to makes you fly effortlessly in 20 knots wind. The more windy, the more downhauled and outhauled your sail should be trimmed. Ask for assistance and supervision at your club to learn how to rig and trim your sail correctly. More than 3 out of 4 sails lying on a beach are not trimmed adequately, so it's not an uncommon problem you've experienced so far...!

Finally, dumping the 5.8 m2 sail and jumping from 5.0 m2 all the way up to 6.5/7.0 m2 is a pretty bad move. This is the worst you can do to get "missing links" and no overlaps in your wind range. Try to space your sail size by 0.7 m2, i.e., 5.0, 5.8 & 6.5 m2 or 4.7, 5.4, 6.2 & 6.9/7.0 m2 for example.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 12th January 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote