Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th January 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
o2bwindsurfn

Question Which new board?

Hi, I am presently sailing a 180 Go in 10 to 12 knots with a 9m sail and a 70cm fin, I welght 90 kilos. Which board should I replace it with? My preferances are a 155 Futura, 150 isonic or a Formula Experience 160?
o2bwindsurfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Ken

o2bwindsurfn,

Of the boards you suggest, I would go with the 155 Futura. A better all around board that does lot's of things well. However, the Futura will not plane as quickly as the Go with a 9m sail. The iSonic is a race board and a little less user friendly.

The Formula Experience is a good light wind board, but it is designed for formula racing (mostly upwind and downwind sailing). At 90 kg and If you only sail in light winds, this may be your best answer if you are looking for maximum planing time. To really maximize the light wind capability of this board, you would need to go to a bigger rig (10, 11 or 12 m sail). Possibly more expense for another mast and boom.

Just my opinion.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 02:05 PM   #3
John Kemsley

Hi

If you can afford to keep the go for those light wind days and go down to a 133/140 qith a 7m sail
John Kemsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Ken

John makes a good point. Rather than replacing the GO, a second smaller board for higher winds makes good sense. The Go isn't all that different than a Formula board unless you really want maximum performance or if you plan to race.

At some point as your skills improve, you will probably want to replace the GO with a large Futura, iSonic or Formula, but for now, increasing your wind range with two boards may be the best plan.
Old 16th January 2009, 03:03 AM   #5
o2bwindsurfn

Question Options

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I already own a 120 Aero for the higher winds. What started the hunt was the consideration of getting a bigger rig for the GO. Say a 10 or 10.7 but to do this I need a new boom and sail and I was wondering if it was a better option to change my board. Now realising that the Go will plane faster than a Futura I am not so sure a new board is the answer.

The other thing for me to consider is were I sail I can have up to a 15knot variation so sometimes I am riding my 9m in 18knots gusting 20.

Ken, I am not sure I understand the difference between the Isonic 155 and the Formula, I thought they were both race boards and I thought they would handle the higher winds better than the Go. What do you think?
Old 16th January 2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Ken

The iSonic is a race "slalom" board for beam and broad reaching on a slalom course. It will jibe better and be a little faster than the formula on reaches.

The Formula board is made for upwind and downwind racing, pointing as high as possible and running as deep as possible with very large sails.

The tail width of the formula is 17cm wider than the iSonic 150, which is the most distinctive difference between the two boards and allows them to do each of their things best.

Both boards can handle higher winds than the Go, but both are somewhat technical to sail. Both will be a handful in 20 knots and a 9m sail until you have quite a bit of practice under your belt.

The Futura 155's tail is 6 cm narrower than the iSonic 150 and is less technical to sail. A better choice for the free sailor than the iSonic, in my opinion.
Old 17th January 2009, 02:54 AM   #7
o2bwindsurfn

Question Narrowing it down

The Go is a serious handfull in 20 knots but I have loved the challenge. Anyway, next question, understanding that the Futura will handle easier/better than than Go and the Isonic in higher winds, will the Isonic plane earlier than the Go? My thinking is that the Isonic maybe easier to handle when the wind gets up instead of the Go with a 10m sail and the Isonic may give me more planning time in lighter winds, which is my goal, what do you think?
Appreciate your help.
Old 17th January 2009, 03:48 AM   #8
Ken

The Go has 30 more liters of volume, but it is about 4kg heavier than the iSonic 150. Widths are only 2cm different with the IS being wider.

The is just a calculated guess, but I would say that the IS will plane quicker. The lighter board will be much more responsive to gusts of wind and will be easier to pump on plane.

Given the size of the IS and it's relatively light weight, it will be a handfull in 20 knots. The IS boards are fast and can be pretty scarry unless your skills are pretty good. I have an IS 111 and I am on either a 6.6 or 7.5 in 20 knots. I have hit 31 knots of board speed in these conditions.

One thing not mentioned before is that the iS boards have the foot straps pretty far out on the rails, like the Formula boards. It's tricky getting into the footstraps and it takes a lot of pressure/force on your back foot against the fin to keep the board flat and moving. This is one reason the Futura is easier to sail.

I haven't sailed a large IS or a GO, so hopefully someone from the "team" will offer some more advice.
Old 18th January 2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Screamer

o2bwindsurfn

It's not that easy to try to guess which board will plane faster - Go with more volume or iS with more width? My guess is iSonic150, but what is often forgotten is which board is EASIER to plane? Here is what I mean: Go is longer and has more volume. If you're not experienced with new generation slaloms (or similar), you may find these boards hard to plane in the beginning. They are very short, very wide and need more sailor input to light up (feet positioning, weight distribution, pumping skills, etc). If you just stand there, you will lag behind a Go sailor.

Nothing to put you off, just be aware of it. Another question is Futura or iS? (easier, relaxed ride vs. sharper, more performance oriented) If you want to maximise lightwind performance (if you decide for iS or FE), you'll need a bigger rig than 9m.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote