Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th January 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
crazychemical

Default what board replaced the F-type?

See title ... i've been looking at formula-ish boards for a while; and mainly at their sailrange which in all brands is very limited compared to slalom and freeride boards. But then i came onto the F-type which has a much larger sailrange and a much more user friendly shape then formula boards. But after 06 it's gone from the range. Now the Formula experience looks like fun too but has that same sailrange limitation as the other normal formulas ... was the F-type integrated in the IS range??? or simply dismissed from the SB range all in all?
Old 17th January 2009, 01:42 AM   #2
Phill104

The large Isonics will do the trick for you. I have a 133 but have sailed the larger ones. Great sail range and similar in many ways to the F-type.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 06:11 AM   #3
prpa

Send a message via Skype™ to prpa

Look for iSonic150, even if you compare dimensions you will see that
there are very small diferences between F-Type and iSonic150.
prpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 06:50 AM   #4
James

Ditto prpa. The iS 150 isn't class legal for slalom 4-2, so it's more aimed for recreational sailors like the F-types.

One of the big futuras would probably work really well for what you want, too.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 04:24 PM   #5
crazychemical

still doesn't seem like a good replacement. The IS150 is less wide and has a smaller sailrange compared to the F-type 148 (5.5-10.5, it being a formla-ish board you could probably pull off 11.5 vs 7.5-11.5). furthermore it's less wide (93 vs 96) and less wide at tail (67 vs 65). So i don't think it'll be such a comparable replacement...
too bad cuz the F-type seemed like a fun lightwind board..
Old 18th January 2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Screamer

Crazy

Have you tried both boards you're comparing, with different sail combos? I don't think you can evaluate performance based on 2cm width difference.
Also I'm not sure what do you mean with these sail ranges. Imho, quoted ranges are always too optimistic anyway.

Yes sometimes we really like a certain board and then it goes out of production. But then again maybe we are spoilt by overwhelming choice nowadays. You have a Formula, FormulaExperience, Go, iS150, F155. I'd say that's enough for large rigs/lightwind fun.
Take your pick.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Haiko,

Width per se is not the sole criterion to categorize a hull. The new iSonic 150 is a XXL slalom board whereas the old F-Types were more like freeformula. This program difference can be seen with tail and rail thickness, as sorted in the following decreasing order : Formula = FE > F-Type >iSonic 150.
Check out some pictures here : http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5186

What sails size are you gonna use on such a big board ? Wind/water conditions for your 95 kg?

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 07:01 PM   #8
crazychemical

it's not really for me, it's for my dad that i'm doing some exploring. He's 10 K less then me and he's a stubborn man. He doesn't want to change boards when the wind picks up. i've seen him use 4.7 on his mistral NTrance board which he loves becose of it's early planning (W: 90 L :300) but it's a beginner board and he's not progressing anymore (big railwidth so the board is like impossible to waterstart and because of it's lenth and volume it's hard to jibe). Also we often sail low wind, so my most used sail, untill i moved to a Holland close to a spot, was my 7.6 which i used for cruising, untill i bought a 8.8 which is when i'm with dad, my most used sail (and his). But still he gets half the planning days i do and i was thinking that in sight of the current range the next sail should be something around 11 m or 11.5. But neighter my GO nor his NTrance can rig that so i started looking at other boards. I found the risk of putting him on an IS too big because of his skill level and i was afraid we'd have the same problem with a Rio or a GO as we did with the NTrance (too big, too thick, too long). Further more, like i sail, dad likes a one board fits all. He's a good sailor and can controle his boards for impressive periods of time mainly cuz he never sails too overpowered unlike me who likes to push his limits and go to smal manouvrable speedy boards whenever opportunity shows).
Then came that dad never like the GO, because of it's lesser width it's harder to get into plane so i thought, fine, we'll go wide. Looknig at formulas i thout he'd hate them cuz of the footstrapsettings. Also they have sailranges that he's dislike beucause he sails every sail on that board (from 5.5 to 11.5 ... omg recommended sailrange for F-type). So i found the F-type but it was abolished after 06 ... and i coudldn't find the propper replacement ... the IS150 is closed in line so i guess we'll have to take a closer look at that board ...
thx for the reply's dudes.
Old 19th January 2009, 01:06 AM   #9
James

With more time on the water, and perhaps sailing with some other old guys, your dad may get the self-motivation to improve. Until then, you should just be thankful he is cool enough to sail with you, and not bug him about riding the Ntrance all the time.

Whenever I try to push my stubborn, 64-year-old dad onto a board or windsurfing situation that he's not comfortable with, it backfires. It's the exact parallel of the situation 20 years ago when he was trying to get me interested in windsurfing!
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 01:21 AM   #10
steveC

crazychemical,

You might want to look into the Futura 155, given its multiple footstrap positions. Although the sail range is a little smaller than you're looking for, it still seems like an interesting candidate to consider. Also, its durability would be an extra plus over the iS150.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote