Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th February 2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Mick_G

Default Kode 74 0r 80

I have been looking at a Kode 74, my local dealer has suggested an 80 and I'm not quite sure which way to go. At 78Kg's I currently ride a 03' Acid 70 with mainly 5.3 and 4.5 sails, living in Perth with my summer sailing mainly here but also trips to Geraldton, Gnarloo and Lancelin, winters are normaly limited to Mandura when the squalls come through. The only issue I've had with the Acid has been balance (sinking) in the lulls between waves, but I love the way it turns and still feels comfortable on the couple of maxed out 4.2 days I get. Will an 80 be too big for a strong 4.5 day and big waves? or will a 74 be to unstable for an average 5.3 between waves?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Mick_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Tough call. If you're usually comfy on the old Acid 70 (narrow and low volume...but a good board though) it seems the Kode 74 is the natural replacement wich does add a bit of width and volume. But on the other hand, the Kodes are really controllable and handle fast waves and high wind really well. So if it hasn't been for the info that you used to sail the small A70, I would have recommended the K80 for your size and 5.3+4.5 (just like your dealer).

So again, a tough call. If you can not try the boards out, you simply have to think hard for a while. If you have a long history of sailing small boards and liking it, go 74. But if the issues of the sinking i lulls are something that hurts your sailing it might be worth it to a tad of the control a small volume boards gives you in high wind for some more light wind comfort. As far as 80 liter boards go, the Kode 80 will for sure be one of the more controllable ones.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Paul

Hi Mick
At 78 kgs I believe you will prefer the 80 for the 5.0 and 5.3 days but may want the 74 for the stronger gero days. The choice would be for what days you would prefer to have the right size.

You are welcome to try my 80 kode to make up your own mind. I am 72 kgs and had the evo 70 as my main high wind board for the last few years and the evo 74/75 for the lighter days, for use at scabs, cott and mandurah. This year I tried the 80 kode for the jumping days at cott and for the lighter days as it gets going very fast compared with the evos and the ET.

At first I was a bit worried as it felt the same size as my 70 evo - that is it felt low on volume and could be used in the same wind as the 70. The 74 would be a straight swap for the 70 evo and the 80 gives a bit more "get up and go" for the light 5.3 plus days. My reaction was that I now had 2 boards for the same wind strength.

Having now sailed it heaps and on some good mandurah waves and plenty of scarbs days, I have found it is a very good comfortable board for full powered 5.0 days and 4.5 days locally, but in real wind in gero it might be a tad big. It is still very easy to turn on the wave and just as easy as my 70 evo but with a slightly different feel - more speed or traditional acid in feel but softer than previous years.

I could easily run the evo 70 kode 80 combination if I didn't like my 74 ETwin so much. I could have the 80 kode as a one board option for the majority of Perth days with no problems at my 72 kgs. It is only in the bigger winds up north that the smaller version would be more comfortable. Tye Bodycote recently gave up a 74 kode as he was too heavy for it at about 85 kgs and he knows how to get a board to work well!

So if you like your evo 70 but want something with a bit more squirt in between waves I think you may like the 80 kode.

Again you are welcome to try mine.
Cheers
Paul
2ndwind sailboards
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Excellent report Paul.

(And i recognize the luxury problem of having to many overlapping boards but not wanting to sell any of them because each it just too good).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 04:43 AM   #5
Mick_G

Paul,

After getting the second opinion (Ola_H) I would like to try out your board, didn't want to disturb your week off though!!!! Forecast for Sunday is probalbly my best chance. Also my Partner has decided to go the 94 Kode as her big board I'll drop by saturday with the Carve for you to have a look at.
Mick_G is offline   Reply With Quote