Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th February 2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Per

Default iSonic 122/2008 footstraps too small

Hi.
Today I tested my iSonic 122 for the first time. The board is nice, but to me with size 47/12 feet the footstraps are just too small. Even with a 3 mm boot (I use 5mm in winter)they are very hard to get in even in the most open position. It's the slick straps and I've tried anything to open them as much as possible, they don't work.
I had to switch them to some old straps of the grey sausage kinds (horribly straps by the way-completely clumsy) from my Aero 127. These old straps don't have any problems being adjusted to fit any size foot.
Why does Starboard produce straps that can't be used by anybody else than smaller people? Which kind of straps should I buy instead, that will be light and fit well for racing for bigger sailors?

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 10:55 PM   #2
leysenkr

Hello

I put 2 tennisballs under each footstrap between my sessions, now they fit perfect.
I assume that these straps are always tested in good weather conditions.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Screamer

Per
I also sailed my iS122 a few days ago. I've had the same problems with (only) 42 euro size feet but with 6.5 mm thick Atan boots. I know *board changed their straps a bit for 2009 season, but I'd like to hear what others are using on 2008 boards (Dakine etc)?
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
mark h

Hi Per,
like you, I'm a size 12/47 and get the same problem. I now use Dakine contour straps on all my boards. There a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 01:20 AM   #5
Per

Thanks a lot.
I guess I have to go the $$$ way..
Funny, how can starboard make straps that dont fit big but ordinary feet?? Anyway they make excellent boards but should leave two things to other companies: straps and fins..
Most of the straps I've had on my (lots of) starboards have been clumsy to adjust. Now they've finally made easy adjustable straps - that are too small. The same with fins. I rarely use the standard drake fins. They seem to stick to the water and hold the boards back.
Except for this I'm very pleased with the innovation from the company.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Per

Today I solved the problem by buying four new RRD-straps. Quite cheap but very nice straps, and no problem with the size.
I tried th iSonic 122 today with my 6.5 and the board is EXCELLENT ;-).. Full control and very high speed even with this small sail size...

Per

Last edited by Per; 11th February 2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11th February 2009, 05:23 AM   #7
Unregistered

The problem is in the neopreen cover. The strap itself can be adjusted to very large sizes, but the cover is preventing that. The cover is tighted with te screws on both side. On one site i have loosen the cover. Now i can adjust the strap to bigger sizes. It prevented me from buying new straps for three boards.
Old 11th February 2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Phill104

The RRD straps are rebadged Dakine and are very nice. I too use the Dakine Contours which are the best for me. Some people don't like the lack of padding on them however. Straps are a very personal choice making it hard for a brands to get it right for everyone.

As for the new SB straps, they will go very big if you put a bar in them and really work them open. It is a shame they are hard work to adjust this way but once done they are quite good.

All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 12:24 AM   #9
prpa

Send a message via Skype™ to prpa

Hi
I had same problem with Futura 2008 edition, and there was also very big discusion on
the forum, and I have to say that SB (Tiesda You) also on the end joined discusion.

I had same problem (Shoe size 46 Euro) and finaly I had to buy DAKINE Primo.

The 2008 edition of SB straps had problem with neopreme cover. so when you adjust
it after some time (minutes) it reduces in size. I even recived 2009 edition, but for
me it looks the same as 2008 edition so I still did not put them becuase holes were little
demaged by 3-4 times mounting/dismounting of the straps. So I will first repair holes before testing 2009 straps.

Any how I thinkg that for board delivered to America & Europe they should deliver default
bigger straps than for Asia region.
prpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 01:05 AM   #10
Per

Hi all and thanks for the response. It seems like Starboard design footstraps around an ideal situation: a barefooted male/female of average size. In the real world we are some bigger people (I'm 193 cm and 95 kg = above average size but not uncommon at all in Scandinavia - probably considered huge in Asia), who wear boots most of the time. Winter boots actually add 4-7 mm and with a size 47/13 foot this actually demands quite a span for a footstrap that also shall fit a size 37 bare female foot...
It's not rocket science to design a footstrap though. What about Bjorn and Albeau (the only thing I have in common with these guys is probably big feet ;-) don't they need bigger straps than standard? There seems to be quite a lot who have experienced this problem.

;-)
Per

Last edited by Per; 12th February 2009 at 01:09 AM.