Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th February 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
engineer486

Default next board for 75kg sailer

HI,
I weigh 75kg, have been windsurfing for 1 year, and am just getting into harness and footstraps. I am currently sailing a GO 155 litre. Assuming I graduate to a new allrounder ie., freeride board at the end of the season, what boards and volumes would you suggest?
engineer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Screamer

Engineer
Have you tried to sail any smaller boards than 155 go? I'm not sure how much you've progressed, but I would recommend something like a Carve122. Maybe even 111 (since you're not that heavy) depending on your skill/ambition/conditions, but that might be a big jump from 155. What are your wind and water conditions and what sails will be used most?
Try a couple of 115-130 l boards if you can.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
leysenkr

Hello Engineer

After 1 year I switched from the big boats, rented at my surfclub, to a Starboard Aero 117L. It was hard working that year but I had and did learn a lot (also thanks to my surffriends). After 1 year with the Aero , I was waterstarting, gybing, footstraps and so on. After that year with the aero I sold my board and bought myself a Futura 101L. This year I hope to learn the carve-gybe.

But I think that also the conditions are important to compare. I mostly surfed on a well known surfspot in Holland, this means constant and powerfull wind. So good learning conditions. My weight is 70kg.

I think if you buy yourself a 120L board, maybe a futura, you can make (comfortable) the step to smaller boards and always keep that board for days with less wind.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 12:29 AM   #4
wiindz

hey engineer,

a 115-120l would definately be a comfotable step from a 155 go after a year. i did the exact same thing except i went to my dad's old no nose race board 115l which is about 20-25cm slimmer then anything on the market today, so i had a bit of trouble uphauling on it balance wise. just make sure that you have enough balance to uphaul your sail on it by taking a day or two and just uphauling in a shallow area so you dont get stuck.

once you are confident with that, make sure you can uphahaul in it the usual conditions for your local spots.. ie if you usualy get a fair amount of chop around 1-4ft high, you should realy take the time to learn how to uphaul on a small board in conditions like that, because i got stuck out for about half an hour far from shore because i couldn't uphaul in those kind of conditions on a smaller board then i was used to, so i pulled up the sail and lost my balance everytime until i final got it once and got out of the choppy area...

but it realy doesnt take long to learn if you commit yourself to it, after one season i went from that board to a 88l and can sail it strapped and in the harnais in anything over 15-18 knts. i still love to use the 115l for anything under that, but after 18knts it just starts flying on me with my 6.6 because im light like you, very good board to have though for inconsitent days where you can rig small and then uphaul it if the wind start to die down on you...

more than that it would be hard to help you without knowing what size sails you have and are planing on getting in the near future and what the wind and water conditions are like where you usualy surf... i would recomend trying a couple of boards in the 110-125l area before you buy anything and seing what works for you and what doesnt if you can, that would realy be the bestway of knowing if you are ready to go down to a board that size.. any way you look at it though, if you ceep on windsurfing you will for sure get to a point where you want a board that size soon, so its not much of a question of if you will use it succesfully, more of when you will you use succesfuly, and that should be soon ;p

anyways, let us know what your conditions are like and what sails you have so we can help you out more ;p

fair winds!
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 06:01 PM   #5
engineer486

Thanks for your replies, its interesting that the advice is fairly consistent ie., about 110-120 litre.
Currently I have a 5.3 Neil Pryde Zone sail, and am thinking of upgrading to a 6.5 soon. I will probably go up to a 7.5 sail later as well, depending on the economy.
I am situated on the East coast of Australia in Brisbane, which has inconsistent winds between 15-30 knots but it can go higher.
I don't know what else to say except that I'm 56 and dont expect to become a wave sailor, but will stick to flat water.

Any more advice would be welcome!!
engineer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 11:17 PM   #6
mim

Default Hi,

well i think as well that 115 or 120 will be good for you...just a small remark.
Does not matter how old are you, once you will be sailing in some wind or wave conditions and as you will catch your first wave...you will love it, and you would like to do more...

Have fun,
ciao Michal.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 03:50 AM   #7
leysenkr

My quiver on the 117L was:

- 4,1 actually to small, because the wind is to hard when i could use this sail. Board was too sticky.
- 5 I used at 6bft
- 6 I used at 5bft
- 7 I used at 4bft.

I don't think that it was possible to surf with a 7,5mē on my 117L Aero. But that depends on your board, conditions you want to cover, costs (espesially masts are expensive). I was lucky to be able to cover this quiver with 2 mast. So low cost to start but that luck is turning. Surfing is the most addictive thing i have ever known and it starts to become expensive too ;-).

I'm 32 and hope to take my first wave at the end off this year so i'm planning to buy a Kode against then.

Life can be beautifull, especially when you are surfing ;-).
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 08:01 AM   #8
wiindz

i dont know about you guys, but for me a 6.6 freerace sail 15-20 knts is nice and powered up (im 70kgs) so i would not rocomend anything much bigger if your average wind speed is 15-30knts. out of the week, how many days about is the wind 20+knts for you? because if you have constantly atleast 3-4 days ish at about 20 every week, i wouldnt even bother buying anything bigger then a 6.0, not much point, you can just wait a day or two and take out a smaller sail... i dont know how much spare time or change you have to work with, but that how i would go about it...as far as the board, i wouldn't buy anything to fancy because i have a feeling that you will spend a season or two on it then move onto smaller more high performance boards (a lot more fun, trust me). sail wise i would buy a 4.5 before a 6.5 acording to your description of your wind conditions.. you basicly have perfect conditions to improve in 15-30knts and flatwater, a windsurfer's dream almost ;p if you have good sized lagoons that are about chest high in your area that have enough area like this to windsurf in and are consistently windy i would be tempted to recomend that you forget about the 115l range and buy a 90l semi sinker, that with a 6.5 and the ability to waterstart and/or beachstart will cover 15-30 perfectly, i leave my 115l at around 15-18knts to tell you the truth, unless i realy dont want to spend much time in the water, then i hang on until 20knts ish...
fair winds!
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Screamer

I don't think Engineer should forget mid volume board, because jump to a 90 l might be a bit too much to handle (for a Go sailor). He's only started to use harness, so not that much experience.
Engineer, try to find second hand Carve122 or 111 and try them. Both will carry a 7.5 well - for your lower wind range. 111 will be hard work in the beginning (as Leysenkr says), but more fun later. (I know whose forum is this, but there are similar boards to consider: rocket, eagle, stoke, xCite, etc if you can't find *board)
For 25-30 knots you'll need 78l kombat or smaller, too early to decide ;-)

Good luck
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote