Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 10th March 2009, 10:13 AM   #1
davide

Talking In Prise of the Isonic 111

Season is starting in San Francisco and I was able to take out my new Isonic 111 twice in the last few days.

What to say that has not been said before: this is a VERY good board and thank you to everybody that suggested it!

It is EASY: the most elaborate part of taking it out was to sand the Drake Fins (1200 grit) just as an insurance against spin out. Otherwise, put the back straps in the forward position, put the mast in middle ... rig my Hot Sail GPS .. screw in the 38 ... and up you go: instantly familiar with the board.

But EASY means more then familiarity: it picks up quick, and cruises and cruises sort of oblivious of chop, ... and then you jibe, and ... man (or woman): this is an easy jibing board!!!!!!!!!! It goes around on autopilot.

It is FAST: yep, it cruises around, but when it goes, it goes fast! Still EASY (have I mentioned that?) and in complete control, it accelerates with no fuss to who knows what top end (no GPS yet, but it is a moot point: just ask Bjorn).

Upwind like a champ (well, maybe not as well as my ML), dowind ditto, hei it even floats me pretty good, and I love the wide tail that seems to disappear when you are going ...

Nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice ... amazing what progress modern slalom board have had in the last 4 years.

Last edited by davide; 10th March 2009 at 10:21 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 03:33 PM   #2
mim

Hi Davide,

after reading this I can't wait for my my new quiver 101, 122, 144.
Hope i can do the same experience when it comes...

nice report.
Ciao Michal.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Per

Hi Davide.
My experience with the iSonic 122 was exactly as you describe it (except I put my straps backwards). These boards represent a new way of thinking, and I don't see why ordinary freeriders should choose something less radical (except for the durability maybe).
The range is HUGE, and as you mention it takes a few runs to get familiar with it...

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Screamer

So you like your iSonic if I understood your rant correctly?

;-)
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 10:49 PM   #5
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
So you like your iSonic if I understood your rant correctly?

;-)
Wow, congrats! you CAN understand written english!
Old 13th March 2009, 02:59 AM   #6
Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
Wow, congrats! you CAN understand written english!
Yes I can, but only when it's written so eloquently
Old 13th March 2009, 03:11 AM   #7
Ken

Davide,

Just ingnore Screamer.

A question for you - I also have an iS 111 '08 model and love sailing it as well. However, I am embarrassed to admit that I struggle to get into the back foot straps, basically because of their outboard position and the weight distribution on my feet.

I get into the front one first as I begin to plane. If I try to get into the back one too soon, I head up and stall out in our puffy wind conditions. If I wait too long, I have great difficulty moving my rear foot without intentionally heading up to get better balanced (too much weight on the rear foot to move it easily).

I can always get into the back strap, but I lose too much speed doing so.

Suggestions?
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 05:05 AM   #8
Screamer

Hey Ken & Davide
It seems I came across as being a pain in the a**
I actually liked what has been written, (and I like iS as well), made a joke, and I never meant to insult.

My apologies
Old 13th March 2009, 12:10 PM   #9
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
However, I am embarrassed to admit that I struggle to get into the back foot straps, basically because of their outboard position and the weight distribution on my feet.

I get into the front one first as I begin to plane. If I try to get into the back one too soon, I head up and stall out in our puffy wind conditions. If I wait too long, I have great difficulty moving my rear foot without intentionally heading up to get better balanced (too much weight on the rear foot to move it easily).

I can always get into the back strap, but I lose too much speed doing so.

Suggestions?
hum ... I had a bit of a problem getting in the rear strap when getting used to the board but I do not seem to have too much trouble after a couple of jibes ... just lucky I guess!

As you mention I think the problem is only in puffy conditions, when powered up (as I mostly was), it is easy you just flip the sail, step, front strap, back and go ... and never stop planing.

In puffy conditions, with the foot already in the front strap, I do a few things at the same time: when the puff comes in, I bear off few degrees (to avoid any risk of partly stalling upwind), pump a little bit, and move the foot to the rear strap with a nice arching motion. That is, I do not try to "reach" for the strap by inching awkwardly backward, instead I take the foot slightly out of the board and behind the front of the strap, and then go in: a smooth gentle by decisive arch.

This seems to work ... I think bearing off is quite important in puffy, because already putting weight to the back makes the board go upwind ...

hope it helps!

PS Screamer, no problem, it is all good!

Last edited by davide; 13th March 2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 13th March 2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Ken

Davide,

Thanks for the advice. I guess I don't bare off enough, but will work on smoothing things out. I have a similar problem with my formula board, and I guess I have developed a bad habit of heading up too much after a jibe.

Screamer - appology accepted, I guess I forgot that your posts a usually pretty interesting.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote