Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 6th April 2009, 05:49 AM   #1
Youri

Default Next thing to get ? Boards, Sail or fin ?

Hi,

I am glad to be a new member of this community.

Here is a bit of history you will need to know to answer my question. I'm 185lbs and I have been windsurfing for 4 years now, the first two year on club gear ( which was very old, long narrow board) and the last 2 years on my own stuff. I own a 2006 Starboard Go 155L FAST, and a 6.9m Neilpryde Expression. I also bought a Poison RX 110L used cause I wanted to try a smaller board for high wind days. My skills are still pretty intermediate, I can get in the footstrap and waterstart if the wind is good, but even though I know the techniques to jibbes, I haven't really completed one yet.

So, what should be my next purchase if I want to improve ? I know I would be able to handle a 130 L, and was looking in that direction ( i.e a Carve 131 ). But maybe sticking to the go and getting a smaller fin to make it easier to jibe ( I have the big straight Drake Racing fin only) would be just what I need to start jibing.

And, I know I should get more sails, what do you recommend, smaller for my 110L or Go to make it easier to jibe and control on those windy day, or bigger for light wind on the Go ? and what size ?

I windsurf in Barrie, Ontario and Québec city.

Thank You

Youri
Youri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 09:33 AM   #2
vikingsail

I am going to assume that you are trying to be prepared for those days when the wind goes above 20 mph but not above 25.
1. Get another fin. Do you fight weeds in your area? A 14.5 inch weed fin would work well with the 6.9 and a 12.5 inch weed or wave fin would help on the 20 mph days.
2. Get the 130 carve. the 6.9 will still work with it. Learn to tune the 6.9 for overpowered days.
3. Get a 5.8-6.0 sail for the windier white cap days.
vikingsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
crazychemical

4. keep practicing on the GO and the 110 ... And you may want to consider getting a bigger sailrange before getting more boards ...
Old 7th April 2009, 06:07 AM   #4
Youri

Alright,

so since I don't have an unlimited budget, I think I will stick with the go for one more year.

For sail size I am thinking like vikingsail, about a 5.8 or 6.0 sail.

Do you guys still think a fin would be a good idea for the GO, ( I already bought a bigger fin for my 110L, since my 6.9 was way too big for the freestyle fin it came with ).

Isn't 14,5 inch a bit small for a 155L ? As I was looking on the starboard web site, the fin range in cm goes from 48-58 cm ( about 19,2 - 23,2 inch ). The 2006 website doesn't state the fin range of the 2006 GO.

How do I know which size my current fin is ? It's a Drake R13 Race NR 520.
Old 7th April 2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Youri,
I agree somehat with both posters here.
First, the Drake R13 Race NR 520 is 52 cm long. (520mm= 52 cm)
That is the stock fin for your 2006 FAST construction GO 155.
Here are the complete specs for your board:
GO 155 155 litres 255 cm. 85 cm. 59.5 cm. 10.4 kg. Deep Tuttle Drake R13 Race NR 520 Sail Range 5.5-9.5 .
Actually the GO with a larger sail, in 12 knots of wind would be an excellent "learn to jibe board".
I think Tom (viking sail) is talking about weed fins, which have much more area for a given depth.
There is no reason that with a 7.5 or 8.5 m2 rig you cannot learn to jibe very nicely (fully planing jibes are much easier on a wider board like your GO 155) with the stock
52 cm fin.
If you sail your GO with a 6.9 m2 rig, you might be better with a 48 cm swept pointer fin,
but the vertical stock fin should be OK (just a little big for a 6.9 m2 rig).
Adding a larger sail will get you so much more quality "time on the water" (TOW) and lots of TOW is what will have you jibing sooner, and better.
I agree with CC that you need to get more sails first.
A 6.9 m2 is getting toward the "too small" area for the GO 155 if you are fully committed to your harness and outboard in the out and back footstraps.
Getting a 7.5 or 8.5 so you can really get the GO "going" in 12 knots would seem the best expenditure to me.
Remember, as the wind speed goes up, so does the chop.
Water is still pretty flat a 12 knots and perfect for carving jibe learning/practice.
At 15-16 knots, the water is going to be getting fairly choppy, so being nicely powered on your GO with the 6.9 (that would be around 15-18 knots for me on your board with the stock 52 cm fin) puts you in conditions where it's going to be less easy to practice your jibes.
Also, you are on fresh water. This makes quite a difference.
If you really think you need another board, sell the 110 L Poison and look for a 120-125 liter board.
Unless you have smaller sails (6.2/5.5/5.0) the 110 liter board is going to feel small (freshwater/185 lb sailor) unless you have at least 16 knots of wind to get it going.
A Carve or Futura 122 would really compliment your GO 155 (at your weight a larger GO 170 would be more suitable).
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Youri

Thanx for the advice,

I will definitely be looking at sails then. But, having a 6.9, would getting a 7.5 really make a difference.

I am currently looking at an Ezzy Freeride 7,5, would that make a big enough difference compared to my NP Expression 6,9 ? I am having having a hard time believing that 0,6m square will really have an impact ? How much of a gap should I have between my sails ?
Old 8th April 2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Youri,
Actuallly I agree with your analysis.
0.6 m2 won't make that much improvement.
An 8.0 m2 (1.1 m2 increase) would be better.
A good quiver spacing (in larger sizes) would be about 1.5 m2 so
an 8.5 would really be noticeable.
But, if you are using a NP 460 mast and correct size (< 60% of full extension) boom in your 6.9 Expression you are going to be looking at getting a larger 490 cm mast and perhaps a longer boom if you go to 8.5 m2.
If your budget can handle a complete new rig, then 8.5 m2 would be my suggestion.
Also your NP Expression is a cross over sail, most specifically designed for freestyle and light wave sailing.
I'm not sure the Expression is the best choice to power your GO 155 on reasonably flat water.
The Ezzy Freeride 7.5 would not be a large improvement over your existing 6.9 NP Expression in terms of low wind power, which is what I would suggest to get your GO 155 going in less wind.
8.5 m2 Ezzy Infinity, NP v6/V8, Sailworks Retro, Severne NCX sails, with the recommended mast and boom would be probably the best thing to spend your money on.
I have not sailed in your area, but on fresh water, with a slightly undersize board for your weight, going with a bit more sail power is going to increase your time on the water (fully planing, in the all the way back and outboard straps....i.e. quaility TOW) the most.
Hope this helps,
Old 9th April 2009, 03:24 AM   #8
joe_windsurfer

Default 8.5 sail

i have a 160 liter board {not SB YET, but soon :-)} and use a Maui Sails Pursuit from Barry Spanier. Mine is even an older model and i love it. Have not had anything else to compare it to, but do not understand why i always see the BIG names, but never MauiSails... They have proven themselves in races and even with Kevin Pritchard. But somehow always seem to be out of the limelight ...
joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Maui Sails are highly respected, as is Barry Spanier.
Unfortunately, I do not often see them at demo events.
My experience with Sailworks leads me to believe that the lofts
that take positive steps to get their products onto the beach and
into demo programs that get their sails into the hands of advancing
sailors do somewhat better in the entry level and advancing beginner/
intermediate markets.
Not too many sailors want to lay our the kind of $$ a modern WS rig
costs without being able to try before they buy.
Just my opinion,
R
Old 9th April 2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Youri

Joe,

if your message was to recommend Maui Sails, point taken, if not, I am not sure what the point of your post was.... .

If I sum up Roger comments, getting a bigger sail would improve my Quality TOW. But because of my weird initial set-up (damn surf shop, just kidding), I would need to go pretty huge ( or so it feels for me ) and buy at least a 8.0. Which means getting a complete new rig: new mast, new boom, new mast extension ( I don't know if a big mast extension can be used just like a short one, seems to me that there could be too much of the extension in the base of the mast, if you see what I mean)

Now, another question, I found a used V8 in good shape for sale. The V8 being a freerace sail, I know it is going to be fast. But is it not more difficult to maneuver than a more freeride/freemove oriented sail, and would that make jibing more difficult to learn ? And, if a freestyle oriented sail is designed for acceleration, early planing and ease of use, why wouldn't it be a good choice to power my board ( except for the relatively small sail size of course ). Ok, I know you are going to say freestyle sail doesn't come in 8m and more TOW far exceed the lose of ease of use. Let me reword the question then, what type of sail (regardless of the size) do you think is best to progress once you can handle the power, ride in the harness and outerboard strap?

Finally, it seems to me that a 6.9 sail is somewhat of a odd sail of size to own. Looks like a quiver of a 6.0 and a 7.5 would make more sense than a quiver of 5.5, 6.9 and 8.5. Or maybe it's just an impression.

Maybe I should be getting rid of the 6.9 and getting a 6.0 and a 7.5....

wow, that's a lot of question......

what do you think ?