Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 6th April 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Help wanted. Which boards/sails

Hello fellow windsurfers

I need some advice on my new equipment.

I am 85 kg, and have been windsurfing for many years, in 4.0 to 8.3 m2 conditions, mainly flatwater but also some light wavesailing. I like blasting

BUT one thing I never have taken the time to learn proberly, is the gybe !

Now that I am going to spend some Euro`s on new equipment, I want to buy to buy the best boards/sails for nailing the gybe, but also still being able to go fast.

I have been looking at the FUTURA, but cannot decide if I need two boards e.g. 101 and 133, or is the 122 suficient ( I still keep my old F2 AXXIS 272 93 l and XANTOS 295 133 l) ?

For sails I have thinking about the NP ALPHA 5.0 - 5.8, HELLCAT 6.7 and V6 8.0

Your input and advice will be appreciated

Thanks !
Old 6th April 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Unregistered

Quatro freestyle wave
Old 6th April 2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Screamer

Guest #1

Go for 122 and you'll soon see that your old xantos will have no use anymore (it has more volume, but it's narrow, so it won't carry 8 sail any better than F122).
In my opinion, sail gaps/types are right, and F122 will be used with 6.7 and 8.0. When learning/practicing planing gybe, put your footstraps in inner holes, and use 6.7 if possible (8.0 too big and clunky for learning rig flip).
I think Kombat/Kode might be even better for nailing the gybe, but F will be much better for slalom-type blasting with larger (cammed) sails.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Chris Pressler

Yes, the Futura 122 will be a great choice like Screamer mentioned. For the 2 smaller sized sails I would suggest a Kode 94. You could also choose a KODE 122, when you prefer abord with the straps more on the inside.

Hope it helps,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Unregistered

Screamer and Chris

Many thanks for your answers.

So you think that the Futura 133 will to big ?

The N.P. Hellcat 6.7 will be the size mostly used (both for blasting and training the gybe), and the N.P. V6 8.0 for some light wind cruising. Is the 8.0 a good size together with the 6.7 on the Futura 122 ?

I will still use my old F2 AXXIS with the N.P. Alpha 5.0 - 5.8.
Old 7th April 2009, 06:27 AM   #6
Screamer

No need for 133 unless:
1. you are heavy
2. you need tons of stability (early intermediate, which you are not)
3. you'll use 9m or bigger rig

122 - perfect for 6.7 and 8.0
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 03:25 AM   #7
alwin

Hi windsurfer,

I have the Futura 133 with the Hellcat 6.7, it works fantastic together. I recently purchased the V6 8.0 so your choice of sails and boards are well. I am 80 kilos and I decided to go for the 133. It is very stable and jibing is very easy. I am an intermediaite. Dont be afraid to choose the 133, it is very very manouverable. But maybe you should simply go to a test center and find out. I certainly have good experiences with the 133. it is very fast (see the latest test on starboard.com homepage).

Cheers,
Alwin
alwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:55 PM   #8
geo

Hi,
take into account that race/slalom rigs have become much much easier to use (rig, tune, sail...) than they used to be. In my view, as long as flat water sailing is concerned, there is NO reason to refrain from using cammed sails. A twincam 8.0 could be a great solution for lightwind cruising, as it should be ideal for early planing; and of course you choose 5.0 and 5.8 that will let you enjoy some waves. My concern is about the camless 6.7: in the 15 to 25+ knots range a cambered slalom 7.0 will let you enjoy much better performances with practically no drawbacks. So my personal advice, should someone put a gun to my temple and compel me to buy from the same manufacturter you name, would rather be a 7.0 V8 (or RS:Slalom).
Please also consider that, unless that guy is putting that gun to YOUR temple, nobody compels you to spend the extra money to buy from that manufacturer. My 'free' personal choice would be Maui Sails: 5.0 Global, 5.8 Global (or 6.0 Switch, if it's not going to be used in breaking waves), 7.0 and 8.0 Titan. After all, NP built the most of its reputation thanks to Barry Spanier's designs, so I see no reason not to buy the guru's own sails, and save some good money meanwhile.

Last edited by geo; 22nd May 2009 at 04:58 PM.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 09:24 AM   #9
wiindz

Geo, i wouldnt go so far to critisize NP, after many years they are still on top of the game, and for good reason...vertualy every decipline in the pwa, be it womens, or mens, has an NP rider in the top 3 or winning the dicipline...but regardless of the possible great scouting skills of NP, what makes them good im my books is my dad's old, 1993 mkIII, not a single repair on it, and trust me its been sailed A LOT, not a single frayed stitch, im impressed with that sail to say the least. if you dont agree on performance benefits, qaulity is a big plus with NP, not to discredit Maui Sails, as they are very good as well! anyways, guest #1, A. stick with your Axxis for sure, i have an 88L one and absolutely love it, and B. if your stuck on board size, your best bet is , as alwin said, drop by a test center, if you can bring both of your sails if the center allows it, and try the two boards out, that should be a pretty good indicator as to what you should buy i would think...
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Unregistered

and who do think designed the MkIII?