Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 9th April 2009, 10:00 PM   #1
sam 2007

Default 2009 Large Rio

Roger,

I'm planning on getting a Large Rio in a few weeks. I like the Rio cause it's not so short like most other recreational wide boards.

I think it will work well as a replacement for my old 198 Free Formula since they are very close to the same length 280 & 290 and width 90 & 85. I think the Rio with its daggerboard would be much easier to stay upwind in light wind on a small sail than the FF.

I'll also be using it for planing days with my 8.0 and 10.0 Retros. Can I take the daggerboard out when I don't need it and sail the Rio like it's a FF board? I'm a little concerned that the Rio footstraps are so far inboard. Will I be able to hold down the bigger sails? I was hoping that I could set the straps out like on the FF but it doesn't look like that's an option.

Do you think the Rio is a good choice for the all around sailing I want to use it for?

Sam
sam 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam,
I have the '08 Rio M, and from my experience on it, I think it's going to work pretty well for your stated purposes.
Removing the centerboard is not really an option, but with the CB stowed, the Rio makes a pretty good "giant" short board.
It will take your large sails just fine, not to worry.
I think you will find that the positioning of the Rio footstraps is really OK.
I thought that the footstraps being so far inboard would be an issue, but since the Rio's
have a domed deck, with flat wings further out, you will find that the footstrap positon is really pretty good.
If your toes are higher than your heels (on the domed deck) and your heel nestles into the transition from the dome to the flat top of the wing, you have really good control.
It's going to be pretty heavy by comparison to your FF 198, so hanging on to your FF 198 it would give you some options.
Overall, I think you will like the Rio L.
Hope this helps,
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 06:13 AM   #3
sam 2007

Roger,

Sounds like you approve of the large Rio for all around sailing.

I have looked at the Start too for light to medium wind. Do you have any thoughts comparing the Start to the Rio?

Sam
Old 14th April 2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

I like the new (08/09) Rio much better unless you are talking about a much earlier Start
(01/02), but they didn't have a centerboard, just a removable center fin.
I think the new Rio Large will be really good for you.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 04:34 AM   #5
sam 2007

Roger,

Thanks for comparing the Start and Rio. I will go with your opinion that the Rio would be better for all around sailing for me. I was leaning toward it already.

I just got my 2008 4.6 Revo and 400 cm mast today and think it will work really well on the large Rio in light wind for freestyle. Caesar helped me pick it out.

Sam