Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 26th April 2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Klint

Default iSonic bottom shapes

Hi,

When measuring my iSonics (86, 101 and 133) I've noticed quite fundamental differences in bottom shapes for the different models. For instance, my iS 86 from 2008 has a marked V along the entire rocker curve. The same goes for my iS 101 which in addition has a very shallow double concave along the entire board lenght.

I was a bit surprised though when measuring my 2009 iS 133 and concluded it to have a mono concave (approx. 4 mm at its deepest point) all the way from the rear end up to the front footstraps and after that gradual V building up combined with double concaves. Would be interesting to know why the iS 133 has a mono concave in the rear and not a V along the entire board length like the smaller iSonics? What was the bottom shape design philosophy for the iSonic 133?

Unfortunately there is hardly nothing mentioned on the Starboard site or in presentation materials about undership details apart from wingers and cut outs. Would therefore be very grateful if somebody (Remi, Ian or someone else from the SB Team..?) could post key bottom shape measurments for the iS 133 as has been done for the smaller iSonics in this thread ( http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25404 ).

thanks in advance for your reply !

/ Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Screamer

Klint

I've sailed first iS133 (don't remember the year), and something wasn't quite right with it. Compared with next smaller size 122, it wasn't the same planing sensation, "sticky", call it what you want.

It seems board that's extremely short and wide requires different approach, and I guess subsequent models were refined with double rocker flat and other bottom features.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Klint

If you have the time, I would be grateful if someone from the Starboard Team in just a few lines could conclude the bottom shape philosophy of the iS 133. What is the reason for leaving the V out behind front straps to the rear end? Please see the above question.

thanks in advance !

/ Andy
Old 16th May 2009, 06:56 PM   #4
nonopr

Not part of the team, but the iS 133 still shaped as a slalom board. They gave it a v shape toward the tail to help the board jibe better. This board is a 85cm wide board imagine jibing a board this wide with out the v in the bottom.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Klint

Well, wen measuring my iS 133 2009 the V is only to bee seen in front of the footstraps and forward towards the nose. Behind the footstraps the board has a clear mono concave... I'm certainly not a shaper but would like to know the reason for not having a marked V in the rear part of the iS 133 as can be seen on my other iSonics (86 and 101). And that's the reason for me asking about the design philosophy for this particular board. I too was considering that a V in the tail is more or less a condition for wide boards in order to enhance gybing?

will appreciate your answer,

Andy
Old 17th May 2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

I asked some people in the know to comment. Lets give them a few days.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Klint

Thanks for your efforts Ola, I'll await answer from the Starboard Team.

/ Andy