Old 12th May 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
ic_spotz

Question Dings and Dents on F159

I started windsurfing a year and a half ago. I bought a used Prodigy and love it. I'm a big guy, 235#. I decided to take the plunge and found a well used Formula 159. It had a bunch of dings that the previous owner had filled. He said they mostly came from his harness hook. I fall... I mean I fall a lot. I have avoided the Shamu flop when I get back on the board so my hook doesn't do any more damage. I noticed, however, that I am denting the side of the board with my mast. I think it happens when I start uphauling. Is there any way to avoid or minimize this? Besides the obvious... don't fall so much... I am also planning to sand down this board and repair some of the repairs that were done. Does anyone have any idea where I can get replacement stickers for this board? Oh Yeah... what about the pads around the footstraps? Are they also available as replacement parts?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Last edited by ic_spotz; 12th May 2009 at 05:38 PM.
ic_spotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Unregistered

Oh boy...you got the wrong board to learn...that board (as well as any Formula Windsurfing board) is extremely fragile and doesn't like to be beat...
Whatever ding or dent you did to it and made it suck up water, it's gone worthless if you plan to resell it as a Formula board...
If you have no chance but keeping it, as sad as it sounds, cover it totally with half inch thick EVA foam...maybe that will make your learning experience somewhat longer...
Good luck...
M.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:10 PM   #3
ic_spotz

Dear Unregistered,

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Any ideas where I can get stickers or foot pads?

Thx,

ic_spotz
Old 14th May 2009, 12:28 AM   #4
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Oh boy...you got the wrong board to learn...that board (as well as any Formula Windsurfing board) is extremely fragile and doesn't like to be beat...
Whatever ding or dent you did to it and made it suck up water, it's gone worthless if you plan to resell it as a Formula board...
If you have no chance but keeping it, as sad as it sounds, cover it totally with half inch thick EVA foam...maybe that will make your learning experience somewhat longer...
Good luck...
M.
considering that half of our windsurfing group is on old FW boards and doing just fine
(even beginners) , M, you're overstating the facts... FW is relativelly frigile but easy to fix,
as long as you dry out the board and fix it after brackage, it could last for a long long time.
If you don't fix it or fix without drying inside first than ,as with any other board, it will delaminate... Scott try US star-board distributer for stickers, etc first, but just for pads
try local stores
Old 14th May 2009, 06:47 AM   #5
ic_spotz

I have been riding the Prodigy for a year. In SoFla we can ride all year long. We wear wetsuits when the water gets real cold (75F or so ). I can manage to plane the Prodigy when the wind is really honking. I used to watch the 'Formula Guys' skipping across the water when the wind was barely moving. It made me want to try it. I found a decent but well used F159 and bought it at our swap meet for a great price. I haven't punctured, perforated or otherwise trashed the board. I can just feel some dents on the rail on either side of the mast track. When I bought it it was as ugly as homemade sin. It has ding repairs in grey, white & translucent brown. I am very familiar with glass work and I want to make it look pretty again. I see on this website that Starboard has all kind of cool accessories and clothes but I cannot find them anywhere in my local shops or on the web. I wanted to know if the decals and footpads are available direct from Starboard.