Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 29th May 2009, 01:35 AM   #1
freestylin

Default Kode vs Evo for freestyle

I'm looking for a new board for 5.2 and down for coastal wave sailing in small waves and freestyle (spocks and flakas level). I'm 82kg and will be on my freestyle board in less wind. How do the Evo and Kode compare in their freestyle abilities? Any recommendations on which size of each is most applicable?
freestylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm not much of a freestyler but think the Kode has a bit better pop due to a faster rocker, but ont he other hand the plan shape of the EVOs are maybe more freestyle friendly, at least in sizes 80l and smaller.

Which size are you looking at? And how much of you sailing is with smaller sails? If you'll be sailing mainly with smaller than 5.2 only 5.2 when you're reasonable powered up, I think the two sizes to compare is the EVO 75 and Kode 80. I practice they have kind of similar ranges and both cover 5.2 well at your size and will work well also in stronger winds.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 01:14 PM   #3
freestylin

How about sliding ability, likelyhood of catching an edge? Tail design?

I would be moving onto this board once powered up on my freestyle board with the 5.2 so those sizes sound good.
freestylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm to bad at freestyling myself to comment. The Kode is a bit tuned to work in freestyle moves, but maybe more so in bigger sizes. But the EVO can't be bad. It was not long ago that Kiri used to sail an EVO 80 a the time. I'll see if I can get some of the freestyle experts in.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote