Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th May 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
cafukarfoo

Default Phantom 320 vs BIC T293 OD vs Rio

Hi guys,

I plan to buy a board. I am a beginner who have no idea how to do planning and using harness.

I would like to have a board that let me progress from now to intermediate stage.

Can you guys give me some opinion based on 3 option below?

1. Starboard Phantom 320
2. BIC T293 OD ( I prefer this because of the wider tail width which i believe can help in doing gybe )
3. Starboard Rio
cafukarfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 03:35 AM   #2
Unregistered

Talking conwell by

RIO , medium, unless you are very heavy above 100 kgs and need the extra stability.
Then buy the large. but i caoution this as I saw the large, and its darn big. The medium was much smaller and I was suprised by the size difference. On the website the large does not look much larger then the meduim but IT IS.

The small is good but only if you a smaller person.

My opinion on the RIO is based on the early planing and beginner criteria.The other boards are "ok" for your criteria .
- The phantom is a mini course board, but a widestyle is better for learning.
- The techo is a hybrid board , that bic tried to get to olympic status.

I am sure you know alot of this.

Other criteria may be looking down the line, course board racing then the phantom would be OK not great but Ok ( terrible if your heavy)
the bic if there is a fleet in your area so maybe you can race ,if
you want.

shredulato
Old 30th May 2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Unregistered

You really need to say more about yourself and requirement.
Weight, age, type of location, desired style of sailing.

If you're young the Bic of course has a big class. If not so young the Bic Hybrid has greater performance potential. The Kona is another longish possibility, which could also remain a long term proposition for lighter wind use. The Fanatic Vipers are less wide than the Rio and aimed at the slightly more proficient.
Old 31st May 2009, 05:47 PM   #4
cafukarfoo

Added Information About Myself:

weight: 75kg
Style of Sailing: Go fast and efficient not matter in light/strong wind
Old 1st June 2009, 12:31 AM   #5
PG

I think you should go for the Phantom 320, it has teh biggest potentia to grow with you. It will make lightwind mot just a beginners quest, but also performance sailing.

I believe the RIO is more of a beginners tool that you quickly outgrow, and the BIC is like an oversized shortboard that works well in planing mode.

Teh alternative to the Phantom 320 would be the KONA ONE that provides similar all round capabilities.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 12:46 PM   #6
James

Cafukarfoo-

All the boards you have suggested, as well as the Kona ONE, Fanatic Viper, and Bic Hybrid, would be good choices.

However, my personal recommendation is the Rio M. It will be the easiest to learn and progress on because of the durable, padded construction, the helpful deck shape and footstrap positions, and the easily-operated daggerboard. After a year or so, when you are comfortable using the harness and footstraps and sailing in all winds, you could sell the board and get something higher performance like the Phantom 320.

I think if you get the Phantom now you might find it hard to balance on, hard to get in the footstraps on, and the stiff daggerboard and adjustable mast track will just seem like a hassle. Also, you'd be more likely to damage it in crashes because of the lighter construction.

That's just my opinion, though.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 03:17 PM   #7
cafukarfoo

Hi James,

Now i am learning on a prodigy for about 1 year. I can learn balance, tack and gybe, going upwind/downwind. But i cannot learn putting on foot strap and harness because the rented board dont have foot strap on it.

I personally like phantom 320 but i really hate the weight. If there is other board as good as phantom but much lighter, then it will be perfect.

Is there any board that meet this requirement?
Old 1st June 2009, 11:32 PM   #8
James

Cafukarfoo-

If you like the performance of the Phantom 320 you might like "real" longboard raceboards as well. The new ones like the Phantom 380 are expensive, but you should see if anyone is selling an older one like the Mistral Equipe, Mistral Superlight II, Fanatic Ultra Cat, or F2 380. There's some discussion of those boards on the "LBWS" website. (Google it.)

Also, 15.5 kg might seem heavy, but it's pretty typical for a full sized longboard or hybrid board and it doesn't mean the performance will be bad. I'd be wary of boards lighter than that- they might not be able to withstand crashes and stuff.

Good luck.
Old 2nd June 2009, 07:48 AM   #9
cafukarfoo

Hi James,

There is a new board Mistral Equippe III.

I check the website. It doesnt have the weight information.

Is this board better than Phantom 320?

I think this is for advance rider, right? Thanks.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:46 AM   #10
James

Caf-

Basically, the longer the board is, the faster it is in light winds. So the Phantom 380 is faster than the Phantom 320 in light winds. The Equipe III is also 380 cm long, so it is probably also faster than the Phantom 320 in light winds.

Here is some more information about the different types of boards used for racing, and what winds they are good for:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/20...rf-racing.html

And here is the site specifically about longboards, which has information on both the new and old models.

http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/