Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th May 2009, 01:46 AM   #1
fatbag

Default iSonic - how to plane through the gybe in chop?

I have a 2006 iSonic 115 and a 2007 Exocet Warp Slalom 62 (90 liters). I use a TR-4 7.6 with the iSonic and a TR-4 7.0 with the Exocet. I can plane through my gybes regularly with the Exocet in all water conditions, but with the iSonic I can only plane through my gybes if a) there is no chop or b) if the chop is big enough that it is almost a swell so I can gybe between the chop/swell and use the chop/swell to keep me on the plane. If the chop is any smaller I seem to always hit the back of a piece of chop and come off the plane. Any advice for gybing in that "in between" state?
fatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Screamer

Hi Fatbag

I haven't sailed 2006 iS115, I use is122 (75cm wide) from 2008 so I'm not sure what are the differences.
I know iSonics like to be sailed at full tilt (also in gybes). If I go in the gybe at max speed, max mastfoot pressure, sheet in hard and keep the inside rail properly weighted, it goes round smoothly and it doesn't mind the chop (and exits fast). It does make you a bit nervous to go at it full bore if you are used to sail narrower (or more maneuverable) boards. Only when I'm tentative and go into gybe half-hearted, it goes wrong (dry but slow exit).
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Chris Pressler

Hi Fatbag,
you use the iSONIC set in less wind so you have to take care to take enough speed through the turn. Keep the weight of you rigg forward, so the board will keep the speed and rotate the sail quite early. The board is short and itīs an advantage to be on the new side with the body and the rigg very soon. Keep the sail quite close to your body at the entrance of the jibe and bend your knees, when itīs choppy.

Hope it helps. Let us know,
Good luck.
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 02:51 AM   #4
fatbag

Thanks for the advice. As soon as we get some wind I'll try it out. With a 7.6, should I rather be on a iSonic 122? I weigh 200 lbs.

Last edited by fatbag; 4th June 2009 at 02:55 AM.
fatbag is offline   Reply With Quote