Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th June 2009, 08:43 AM   #1
novice

Default Futura 122 vs. Kode 122

I have a Go 155 that I've been using for several years and want to get a smaller, lighter board. I am 148 lbs, 5'8", 57 yrs; I'm using the harness, middle front footstraps and forward rear straps positions, can beach start (not well in deep water), gybe (not carve, not pretty), tack (not always, not pretty), can plane and waterstarting is on my to do list. I sail in a lagoon with chop and will try the ocean when my skills improve.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Futura 122 and the Kode 122. I've read the Starboard data. I've ridden the Futura and the front straps seem too far back to me; top speed is not important to me.

Are the front strap inserts more forward and inboard on the Kode 122?

I need a comfortable, light weight board that I can uphaul while I progress with my skills.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello Novice,
At your weight, you would be able to uphaul either the Futura 122 or Kode 122 with ease.
Both have plenty of float.
Not sure why you have not progressed further back into the more advanced footstraps on your GO 155.
Either the Kode or Futura 122 will almost demand that you move a little further back on the board as this is where your weight needs to be to get satisfactory performance (which you may have been missing on your GO 155) from these boards.
Where the footstraps are, thus where your weight needs to be, is based on the rockerline; rocker transition; and planing surface location on the bottom of these boards.
If you do not get your weight far enough back on the board, the nose cannot lift enough to get the bow wave under your board to move back beyond the rocker transition.
So, the board will not get up on top of the water and plane easily and freely.

Futura 122 122 244.0 72.0 47.3 7.05 7.35
Kode 122 122 235.0 72.0 46.6 9.8
I pasted in the specs. here to illustrate that the Kode Tufskin is narrower at the 1 foot off measurement and that the weight of the Kode 122 is nearly 2.5 Kg. heavier than the
Futura (Technora Construction) and 2.75 Kg. heavier than the Futura (WOOD).
The Kode may actually weigh more than your GO 155 (depends on which year model and construction your GO 155 is).
So, it would seem that to achieve your stated goal ( "a comfortable, light weight board that I can uphaul") that the Futura is the better choice.
The Futura 122 is really an awesome board with a huge range of use.
You probably would get accustomed to the slighty further back footstrap positions very quickly.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 07:48 PM   #3
novice

Hey Roger,

My question was about the Kode 122, not the Kode Toughskin 122. I agree the Kode Toughskin is too heavy. I'm trying to find out if the Kode 122 has more forward and/or inboard front footstrap options than the Futura. Thanks for the help.
Old 21st June 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Chris Pressler

Hi Novice,
I compared both boards sailing and testing them. The Futura 122 feels going more straight, stable and comfortable. But also a bit faster. You can use a quite big sized sail on the Futura. With the 122 Kode I felt there is a limit with 8,5 (finsize). You could put a bigger fin.
What I really like about the Kode 122 was the jibing performance.

Both models started to plan quite early. Both vcan get into planning by active pumping super early.

The Futura is a kind of funracer, which gives also a sailor with less skills the chance to advance with a board in this size.

The Kode is a big Funboard, which does not feel big, jibes great and makes also very much fun in choppy conditions.

Here are some facts from the test in the German SURF about the Futura 122:

The TEST of FUTURA 122 wood (GERMAN SURF, June 2009)

short characteristic: the board feels extravagant and modern. The flat, wide shape is extremely easy to accelerate - at each sailing level. The board can carry a 8,0 m sail very well.

Intermediate 5 of 5 stars
Freeride 5 of 5 stars
Freerace 5 of 5 stars

planing (start) 13 of 15 points (excellent)
planing through 14 of 15 points (excellent)
speed in medium wind 13 of 15 points (excellent)
topspeed 13 of 15 points (excellent)
control 13 of 15 points (excellent)
sporty powerjibe 12 of 15 points (good)
learning powerjibe 14 of 15 points (excellent)

Out of my view you will have fun with both boards, but I tend to recommend you the FUTURA 122.
Hope it helps,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 04:21 AM   #5
novice

Default Futura 122 vs Kode 122

Chris and Roger,
Thanks for the information.
I'm trying to find out if the Kode 122 (not Toughskin) has more forward and/or inboard front footstrap options than the Futura 122. Do either of you know if the Kode 122 is available in the U.S.? Thanks for the help.

novice
View Public Profile
Send a private message to novice
Send email to novice
Find More Posts by novice
Add novice to Your Contacts