Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st June 2009, 03:39 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Advice on Kode 86

Hi All,

I have a Fanatic Freewave 88 at the moment as my high wind bump and jump board (no waves), but I find it gets very hectic when well powered up. I am looking for something perhaps a bit more controllable in these situations, and am considering the Kode 86. Anyone have any opinions on how this board behaves when well powered up in heavy chop? I am 82kg, and this board would be to step down from a 105 crossover board.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st June 2009, 05:37 AM   #2
nonopr

I love the board power up to a crazy level. It is a fun board. I have a kode 86 and use it with both single strap on the back and double strap. In both set ups the board is crazy good and feel very controlable.
Enjoy.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
aa25

I used the Fanatic Freewave 88 for a number of years and now have switched to the Kode 86 (wood). The FW 88 was 5.9 kg so quite light and nimble for a board that size with a fairly hard & crisp ride, but it did tend to get unsettled & clattery in chop and high winds. A smaller fin helped this. In comparison, I find the Kode86, whilst a bit heavier, is far more settled and controllable in the chop and higher winds. Freestyle is far easier and gybing I would rate as 10 times easier & smoother on the K86. The FW88 was light, lively and agile in wavesailing but somewhat stiff, whereas the Kode86 feels more designed for waveriding so is smoother, looser and holds speed in turns better. One other detail is that most FW straps are fairly inboard and close to the mast track so you ride more upright. The straps on the Kode are a bit further away from the mast track so you can hang back more and it feels faster and more driven. Overall the Kode86 is more versatile. Just feels better for freeride, freestyle, waveriding and more controllable.
aa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Unregistered

Thanks a lot guys
Old 22nd June 2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Screamer

Very similar aa25's post on another thread, well said:
http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5827

I've heard many sailors claim "exciting/lively/agile/electric" ride from Fanatics and other brands (I've compared Kombat and jp fsw for example). In my sailing conditions, that is of little importance if the ride turns out of control too soon, out of ideal sail/wind range. Doesn't mean others are bad, just different.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Unregistered

Well, I've pulled the trigger on the Kode 86 on the strength of the above and all the rest of the positive feedback I've seen on them; hopefully should be here tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 23rd June 2009, 04:57 AM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

Good luck with your new board. It's a great board, that just goes better the harder you charge on it. Please report back and tell us your thoughts when you've sailed it.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote