Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th June 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
mario milhazes

Default Futura 101 or 111

Hi

Im 80kg and i have a intermediate level, planning in footstraps, waterstart, beachstart and can tack.

I have a Fanatic Shark 130 L and would like to move to a smaller board and im thinking in the futura but i cant decide if the 101 or 111 L.

My home spot is the sea that has a lot of choppy when the wind blows over 20 knots.....

Im afraid that if i buy the 111L (68 cm width) it will be like my shark that starts to be out of control over 20knot because it has 70 cm width and doesnt go through choppy very well...

Hope someone can help me decide....

Thanks from Portugal
Old 24th June 2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Unregistered

for your weight and as a board next size down from what you have 101 for sure...if not smaller
Old 24th June 2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Ken

I am not sure of the real volume of the 101, but it is probably under 100 liters - 98L?? At 80 kg, anything under 100 liters will just begin to be a "sinker". A little difficult to uphaul if you get stuck in light wind situations.

I weigh 79 kg and my iSonic 111 (108 liters) is OK to uphaul, pretty sensitive regarding foot placement but doesn't sink. For me, under 100 L and the board begins to sink.

Other than that issue, I agree with Unregistered that the 101 is a good to complement your 130L board.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 11:11 PM   #4
Unregistered

I'd go for the 101 if you are planning to keep the big board as well, for sure.

At 80kg you will still be able to uphaul the 101 comfortably, it is quite wide, though of course it may take some practice. At 82kg I can happily uphaul my 105 / 65cm board with a wet winter wetsuit / boots on, which probably makes me weigh well over 85kg, and I'm no hot shot.

The 111 is going to be too close to the big board and will soon start getting uncomfortable in choppy conditions.
Old 24th June 2009, 11:30 PM   #5
mario milhazes

Hi

Thanks for your help and replies.

I intend to keep my Shark 130L board for one more year and then replace it for a 133 Isonic (in the summer of 2010)

But at this moment i need do move on to a smaller board so i can sail comfortably in 20 to 30 knot with lots os choppy...

In 2011 i intend to move on to a even smaller board, Kode 86 for high winds and with some luck do waves...

So in 2011 in would like to have this board quiver:~

Isonic 133
Futura 101
Kode 86

Do you think im going in the right way?

Thanks to all
Old 25th June 2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Ken

Mario,

Yes, your line up looks reasonable to me. However, the Futura 101 will best serve you in the 15 to 25 knot range. Over 25 knots and it will be more difficult to manage, but a lot depends on the water state, your sail size and your skill.

I have a 105 liter bump and jump board that I use with a 4.5, 5.0 and 5.7 sails in winds between 18 to 25 knots and a 87 liter board in the 25 - 35 knot range with a 4.0 or 4.5. Where I sail the winds are pretty puffy so there are a lot of holes and wind shadows, so I don't get on the 87 liter board too often.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 03:47 AM   #7
Unregistered

Have you thought about a Kode 102 instead of a Futura 101? Would give you more control in choppy conditions. Might not have the all out speed of the Futura, but probably not far off...
Old 25th June 2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Screamer

Mario
That quiver sounds good, a couple of points though:
1. You won't sail comfortably on a F101 in 20-30 knots (force 6-7), you need smaller board for that, like a k86.
2. 85cm wide iS133 is a good choice if you are going to use a sail bigger than 9m, and expect very light winds, dropping below 10 knots. Otherwise a smaller board will do (but then again I suppose you have good reasons to replace your shark).
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Unregistered

Hi Mario,

Sounds as though I was in the same position/level as you a year back. I was looking at the F111 or F101. I took the safe option and went the bigger size but six months on I wished I had gone the smaller 101. Saying that howver, I progressed quickly on the F111 (I'm now also riding a Kode86 with out any problems), it's a great board but anything over 20kts in the ocean and it gets a bit hard to handle. I'm also 80kg's and have a Go133 as my light wind board.
Old 26th June 2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Unregistered

Default mario milhazes

Hi

I would like to thanks everyone for all your comments......this is really a great sport where everyone is friendly and always has some kind of advice for the guys that are progressing...

I windsurf for 2 years but i wished that i would had discover this sport much sooner.....i love it and will do it forever...

I think i will go for the F101 now and later for the K86

Thanks