Old 6th July 2009, 02:07 AM   #1
scott harrison

Default quad sizings

Hi guys

just looked at the quad mini site - very nice , while my initial recation was to be considering the 76 for 3.7-5.3 action i noticed it is 5.7.5 wide -- woooo! i usually ride evo 75 or jp twinser 76, both 55 wide and that seemd great.

Should i look at the 71 ?? if im not lit on a 5.3 i will be on a 90 liter board anyway.

Cheers
Scott
Old 6th July 2009, 03:41 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Can I ask how heavy you are?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
scottmckercher

hi scott
both boards are nice.
I don't think the 76 feels particularly wide. I've used a 5.3 on it and it feels fine. To be truthful I've not sailed smaller than 4.7 on the 76, and obviously size wise the smaller the sail the more suited the 70 will be.
I weigh 85kg's and would go to the 70 myself in smaller than 4,7 but I reckon the 76 would be fine to 4.2
regards
scott McK
scottmckercher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 06:06 PM   #4
scott harrison

Thanks guys,

i'm about 78 k's at the moment (12 stone in old money).

I guess it's all about how the 71 would perform in comfortably powered 5.3 weather, i do like small boards 'cos i do like my jumping, and i only want to carry 1 wave board.

Looking at the site it would appear that the 76 and 71 are quite different shapes - are the small ones more control biased and consquentially worse (pro rata) at early planing and upwind ?

Cheers in advenace
Scott
Old 10th July 2009, 12:38 AM   #5
scottmckercher

No I wouldn't say that.
Throughout the range the benefits of the fins are apparent. Just of the various boards tested this was the one that came out on top in that size.
Powered 5.3 the 71 would carry no problem.
At 85kg's I can even put put on it, but would prefer 76 in that scenario
scotty
Old 10th July 2009, 04:01 PM   #6
sailpower

Send a message via MSN to sailpower

hi Scotty and Ola,

I have actually an acid wood 86 08' for lightwind (15-17 knots to 20-25 knots in gusty or marginal conditions, sails 5.3-5.0 maybe 5.7).

I'am 83kg and I would like to change it (I love it but It's a litle too big for me). Idealy I need a 83-85 liters and 58 width. I have an evil 70 for other conditions ( 20 to 40 knots). I love small board without too big volume.

Do you think the quad 81 could be perfect for me in my lightwind conditions?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

I got my boards a few days ago and was out on underpowered 5.0, onshore. I'm 72kilos. I first used the 81 and then the 71 (I did not get out ont he 76 until the day after). Anyway, even though it was really marginal, I was surprised at how effective the 71 felt even in this light wind, onshore, downwind current situation with a baggy powerful 5.0. So even though you're a tad heavier I think the 71 will handle powered up 5.3 very nicely.

On the other hand the 76 felt very nice too (used it with 5.5 side to side on, head high waves) and I didn't really feel the extra width as something negative. In fact, it has a really nice compact feel to it which I love. So despite being very similar to the 81 in width, it really feels like a smaller board. So also the 76 could prove to be a good all round board for you.

Not easy to say, in other words.

Sailpower: I'm much lighter and Scotty will be able to provide better info, but I think the 81 would do a great job for you and complement the ET70 very nicely.
Old 16th July 2009, 05:57 AM   #8
scottmckercher

yep
I reckon Ola's on the mark nd that'll be spot on for you
scotty
Old 17th July 2009, 03:24 PM   #9
sailpower

Send a message via MSN to sailpower

Thanks a lot Ola and Scotty

I ordered my new quad 81 wood carbon I would receive it at the beginning of august. I am very curious to try it
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 02:55 AM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Good sailpower. Be sure to report. I've had many people try my 81 out and they seem to be smiling a lot...

On the 76 and width: Yesterday I sailed it with powered up (and underpowered) 4.2 (after first using the 66 and then the 71). Waves was around 2m at first and then got really small in the end (see image below). One need not worry about the width. It was super easy and controllable and I didn't once think about that I had such a big board under my feet. Pretty cool that I was sailing 52.5, 55 and 57.5cm wide boards in the same conditions and they all worked just fine.

photo: Basse.