Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th July 2009, 06:26 PM   #1
bratg0

Default 2007 Rio L setup

I'm a new sailor who has been sailing a 2007 Rio L for about 2 months. I would like to upgrade my sail and fin, so I can get the board planing. Could you please give me some advice on my options? Right now I am using the stock fin that the board came with and 6.2 cm2 sail. I am 200 pounds and the wind speed in our area most of the time is 8-15 mph.
Thanks for your help.
bratg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
olzcyk

I have a 2007 Rio M and need about 6 m/s to get planing with my 9.0 Gator and 59 cm fin. Im 95 kg and zero pumping skills Buy +9m2 sail and about 60 cm fin and you should be blasting on 12 knots.
olzcyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 06:03 PM   #3
bratg0

Smile

Thanks Olzcyk for your answer.
I have one more question. What is the brand of the fin that you are using? Does it fit properly in the finbox right away or you have to adjust it on order to fit like the original one?
Happy Sailing!

Last edited by bratg0; 8th July 2009 at 09:05 PM.
bratg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 04:09 PM   #4
olzcyk

The finbox in Rio is deep tuttle but the original Drake fin is with tuttle box adjustment. I have 59 cm tekknosport deep tuttle fin which I had to grind a bit from the forward edge to make it fit properly. The "original" fin had the same problem. The box in the board seems to be a bit tight.
olzcyk is offline   Reply With Quote