Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 31st October 2006, 03:04 AM   #1
chiel

Default EVO 74 or 83 (2006)

I???m planning to buy a Evo 74 or 83 (2006 model). This will be my only board.

But I???m still doubting which one. I plan to sail it with 5.2, 4,7 and 4,2 at the Dutch coasts. (North Sea). In practice I use the 5,2 and 4,7 the most. Is there a big difference in planing.

I weigh about 78kg and I am 1.85m tall.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
chiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: EVO 74 or 83 (2006)

Between these two there is a slight difference in early planing, not so much because of size but because the E83 has a differernt bottom layout (flatter rocker). However, if you're not extremely worried by the earliest possible planing with underpowered sails, I think the E74 will be a better boards. It's simply a more all round wave board at your weight. On any kind of wave, the E74 will be very efficient too also in light wind) so what you will loose is some comfort (not as fast sinking) on hte light days, and some effectiveness in 5.2 B&J conditions. You simply have to work more for the light wind fun on the 74, but the 83 will become a handful much faster when the wind increases.

Wether or not you have other boards in your quiver will also influence the decision a bit.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Chris Pressler

Hi chiel,
having only one board the 83 could be the perfect choice. You can cover just a wide windrange and start wavesailing in no wind conditions,too. Think about in which conditions you will sail most of the time.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Ray Timm

HI chiel,

I have these two boards. I'm 85 kg and whenever the wind is sufficient for a 5.4, I start using the E74. The difference in planing, as Ola says, is very small. I will stay on the E83 with a 5.4 only if the wave conditions are good and the water is quite smooth; otherwise, I'm always partial to the E74. I even use the E74 with my 5.7 and it works quite well with a slightly larger fin that the one that comes with the board. I'm tend to sail smaller boards than most people my weight, but you being 78 kg should have no problem on the 74 even in relatively light conditions.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 02:53 AM   #5
chiel

Thanks for your advice. I have bought a 74 with an extra fin (Select Pro wave 23.5) to give a bit extra drive with the 5,2. Cant wait to take it out onto the water.

See you on the water.
chiel is offline   Reply With Quote