Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th July 2009, 12:12 AM   #1
nonopr

Default Antoine Albeau burst of speed?

Why this guy can go past anyone at anytime? What does he do to get the burst of speed he get to pass people like they are standing still?
Can anyone explain?
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 06:06 AM   #2
Maximus

Baked beans
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
nonopr

Jajajaja, Funny. But not the answer looking for.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonopr View Post
Jajajaja, Funny. But not the answer looking for.
I am not sure it can be explained ... many sports have athletes that dominate the field for a a few months, a season, or years. Think Eddy Mercks, nicknamed the cannibal, who dominated bicycling for more then a decade; or Bjorn Dunkerbeck that did the same in windsurfing for almost ten years, examples can be found in pretty much all sports. Strangely enough it seems to be almost the rule in solo sports: one person finds a magic balance and the rest of the field is just those few steps behind that are enough to lose a competition.

Last edited by davide; 20th July 2009 at 12:41 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
or Bjorn Dunkerbeck that did the same in windsurfing for almost ten years
Correction: Dunkerbeck won twelve overall pwa titles 1988-1999.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Unregistered

Question Weight and skill

Doesnt explain everything by along way at all but weight has a great deal to do with it .Its a prerequisite that all top sailors are super super skilled with (I suspect) little in technique between the very top...... But when you get a real powerful heavy bloke with equal (or probably superior) skill he(or she?) can exploit the physics in our sport.
If there`s enough power available to get heavier sailor well powered/over powered and the kit is stable etc the heavier sailor does have (relatively) less drag for the power he can put through board; hence he can get that extra speed. (Look at most speed records)

Lighter sailors will always have (???) better power to weight but heavier will better power to drag. (Assuming equal all else ;which is never the case ???)

Watching sailors this is sort of demonstrated. But there is so much going on the physics can end up playing a less than deciding rule. Lighter sailors plane up quicker;accelerate quicker but ultimately heavy sailor is going to get you !!!!

Watched Antoine last year; seemed to me he could muster up another 1k or so board speed (over others) whenever he wanted ??? He must have some good knees !!!!

Its my thoughts anyhow !!!
Old 20th July 2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Deja Vu

Jim Drake wrote an article about size and leverage a few years ago. Apparently as size increases so does drag (as you would think); however, leverage increases more than the drag (a 3:2 ratio if I remember correctly in favour of leverage). The bottom line is that size does matter - how much I suppose depends on skill level, equipment, tuning and obviously conditions. Robby Naish also wrote an interesting article about racing the big guys. He said that once the big guys were able to gybe really well he had more and more problems staying ahead. They had a substantial advantage close to the wind, but he could neutralize the "size advantage" by bearing off the wind onto a broad reach. Dave White claims size doesn't matter! Why does he weigh 300 lbs. then?
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 10:33 PM   #8
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Doesnt explain everything by along way at all but weight has a great deal to do with it .
Not really: most PWA top slalom racers sailors are in excess of 200 pounds, I think to rememer that Bjorn is actually heavier then Antoine.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 11:58 PM   #9
Unregistered

Cool

Its an iteresting thread and obviuosly drag increases with an increase in weight but its not a proportional increase. In other words doubling the weight will not double the drag. If this were not the case wearing a weight jacket would not increase top speed.The extra weight has to be positioned to also increase the force available but wearing a 20k weight jacket would not increase force available by 20k. (Look at dynamics of weight and forces/vectors)

If heavier sailor did not have better weight/drag ratio how come all top records are held by "heavy" sailors.If Jims expanation re- leverage were only concept involved speed sailors would be tall and light ???
Its best explanation I`ve read but it was written around slalom water skiing and tow line forces for different weight skiers. Yes its different but priciples of drag would be same ???
I`ll Try and find it out again.

Load a dive Rib up with well over double weight of boat and it will reduce top speed but if drag had doubled top speed would be halved ?! Its not. ??? Probably irrelevant though ?? But I dont think drag has a direct correlation with load. ???!!!
Any Hydrodynamists ???
Old 21st July 2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Deja Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
Not really: most PWA top slalom racers sailors are in excess of 200 pounds, I think to rememer that Bjorn is actually heavier then Antoine.
This may not explain why AA is so fast, vis a vis his competition, but the fact that most of the racers weigh in excess of 200 pounds is a pretty good indicator that if you want to compete at the top level you need to be big - in other words you need a lot of leverage! In AA's case I suspect he wants to win more than anyone else so he's willing to push his immense talent and size to the limit.

The words "performance, information, beer, deer, moose, sheep" etc. are all collective nouns (meaning they are pronounced and spelled the same whether referring to one or several). There is no "s" added! "Beers" is so commonly used now that there's no point arguing about its usage and no doubt the other words set out above will go the same way. When "mooses" becomes a common word in the English language I'm jumping off a bridge.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 21st July 2009 at 12:36 AM.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote