Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th July 2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default PWA wave events

Hi,

generic question to the experts. Why do we have that many slalom events in the PWA tour but so few decent wave contests? Pozo and Sylt might be windy, but not sure one can say that these are great spots for a wave contest. The current tour benefits the jumpers and not the real wave riders. It is pure jumping and very little wave riding. Just look at the top rankings in Pozo X Cabo Verde.....

Why not have more events in spots like Cabo Verde, Maui, West Australia, Ibiraquera and other wave spots where one can surf and jump???
Old 24th July 2009, 07:14 PM   #2
viking

Saying that Pozo is not a real wave spot is your very own opinion, for me, and for many people, it is the most exiting event of the year. I never went to the end of the DVD of the Cabo Verde contest (and I tried several times!), after 5 minutes I shut down because it bores me (bottom - off the lip - bottom - off the lip... ZZZZZZZZZZZZ), but I fully respect the guys who are exited at looking at it.

We miss of course a contest in Hawaii.
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
mim

Hi,

Pozo is really good for jumping but honestly all the backside riding..that is boring...I mean really steep waves with side-off wind that is something spectacular...

cabo verde is also kind of boring...

I would like to see conditions where you can doo all tricks, from classic wave riding with off the lip jumping and 360, goiter etc...and i would like that all tricks have the same weight between the jugdes (the best sailor would than be the one to show the most of the tricks with the best quality, not like you are good in off-the-lip and you do almost only that).

And i would love to see some exotics, South America, French Polynesia, Africa etc... (Hawaii is not the only place with nice waves).

Bye M.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Unregistered

"I would like to see conditions where you can doo all tricks, from classic wave riding with off the lip jumping and 360, goiter etc..."
HOOKIPA???
Old 24th July 2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Unregistered

I think PWA goes where the organizers pay them to go (to have a contest), so maybe is more about the organizers (sponsorship and etc...) than PWA itself.
Old 25th July 2009, 05:44 AM   #6
raffig

I just canīt believe what I am reading...Cabo Verde boring ???
Mim, get yourself a ticket to Cabo Verde and get into the wave in Ponta Preta. Arguably the best down-the-line surfing in the world, it just cannot get better than this anywhere in the world !! Just ask the PWA riders if Cabo Verde is boring !!
raffig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 02:38 PM   #7
mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffig View Post
I just canīt believe what I am reading...Cabo Verde boring ???
Mim, get yourself a ticket to Cabo Verde and get into the wave in Ponta Preta. Arguably the best down-the-line surfing in the world, it just cannot get better than this anywhere in the world !! Just ask the PWA riders if Cabo Verde is boring !!
Hi Raffig,

read the post again, please. I did not say that CV is boring...for the riders it is real extreme fun. I just say, the riders go only for down the line rides and off the lip jumping...that is it...

You have to admit that there is much more tricks in the waves...the riders can do them and they can do it in Ponta Preta as well, just the value on the judges bank is not worth it...this is what I found boring.

And Hookipa, yes it offers everything...I just think (that is my personal opinion) that on PWA tour there should be also new places discovered and presented to the people watching PWA...