Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th July 2009, 04:52 AM   #1
AllSoldOut

Default Stupid Suggestion for Phantom 320

Dear All,

I have been using the Phantom 320 for about a season now with a Tushingham Lightning 7.8m2 sail. It certainly delivers the planing that I want in the 5-15 mph that is typical south of England weather (I weigh 62Kg suited up).

Just one thing; since I don't race, would to be viable for Starboard to offer a smaller centre board for ease of maintaining it in the fully retracted position? I have noticed that myself and other inadvertantly step on the backside edge which might not help with early planing??

Thanks,

Matthew Weinle.
AllSoldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Matthew,
You could easily make your own CB that has a narrower chord so it does not stick up out of the deck.
Get a nice piece of hardwood, the same length as your current CB and simply use cardboard templates to make another CB out of wood (marine plywood, with a layer of fiberglass and epoxy resin would work as well) but move the trailing edge forward enough so that it does not protrude through the deck.
I cut back a bunch of the early Start CBs to prevent them from sticking up through the deck and I just reshaped the foil to the new trailing edge.
They worked every bit as well as the originals.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 07:15 AM   #3
AllSoldOut

Thanks Roger,

I think I already have all the materials required to to do this. I feel a mini-project coming on...

Matthew.
AllSoldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Andy

Hi Matthew
I've got a Hybrid Race. I had problems with the dagger board and found it uncomfortable for fun sailing. I got a daggerboard from a Rio, it works fine and I even managed to do the Sheppey Island Race (40 miles) with it.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote