Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th August 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Chesapeake

Default Quad 86, Kode 94, or Evo 90

Hello,

I'm a sailor (80kg) who sails primarily the Chesapeake, Delaware Beaches and Outer Banks and am looking to replace may aging waveboard (95L) that currently covers 6.4m to 5.0m (I have a 75L dedicated waveboard to pick-up 5.0m and down). While I live for the occasional side to side-off swell conditions, I spend most of my time dealing with side-on and on-shore conditions, which is typically 1m to 3m wave heights. I find the larger freestyle/wave boards simply cannot provide the tight turning radius required to enjoy such conditions, or if they do, they are dogs as far as planning and speed goes. I've been looking at the Kode 94 and Evo 90. But I've recently been reading about the Quad and wonder if the Quad 86 might be the right board.

Can you offer any advice on how weel the Quad 86 can hold a 6.4 sail? Is the speed of the Quad competative with the Kode 94 or Evo 90? And would you recommend the Quad over the Kode or Evo?

Thanks,
Mike
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Since you seem to like and be able to make use the curve of a high rocker board I think you should either get the EVO or the Quad. They both thrive in the conditions you describe. The EVO 90 for sure handles a 6.4. The Quad 86 probably do too as far as the actual shape go, but I'm unsure of how the fins would handle such a big sail. There is a lot of fin in the water on the quads, but at 6.4 I have a feeling you might be overloading it a bit if you need to push it upwind at slow speeds. But I don't know this for sure. If you don't mind a bit of extra weight, a solution could be a convertible quad. Then you could have a killer big sail setup with the 16 fins in front, some tape over the rear quad boxes and a big (=16-20cm) central fin in the us box. My own testing with a thruster setup (in the quad76) has shown that it is hard to get the same combination of looseness and upwind/early planing as with teh quad setup. There is a fine line between to slippery and to much traction when you go from small to bigger center fin. But with a 6.4, the sail size will in any case not allow the quickest moves, so I think a thruster could be kind of nice. And you can still get the allroundedness of the quad for smaller sails.

Regarding the speed of the quad I actually don't know. It's for sure not something that you can measure by comparing to other sailors since you will generally be going faster by having it so much easier to go upwind. But a friend who used a fast rockered single fin , then quad and then back to single said he felt some drag on the quad, which is what you would expect. But the same guy also said he only felt this a short while into the session then didn't notice it. So it is for sure not the kind of draggy feeling that makes your whole setup feel slow and heavy. On the contrary, the Quad boards feel lively and "powered up", I think.

But then again. The EVO 90 will not disappoint.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 06:01 AM   #3
OzzyJon

I'm also an 80kg sailor that sails in cross, cross-on and onshore beachbreaks. I have an evo 74 as my 20 knots plus board and I'm looking for a light wind wave board. I'm considering buying the 86lt Quad but am concerned that it will be too big for my weight due to its width. Now that you don't sell the Evo my only other choice is the Kode, but I assume this isn't recommened for onshore wave sailing?
OzzyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

If you want to use it for true light wind use, I don't think the 86 will be to big, but it depends a bit on what size of light wind boards you're used to, if you're sailing "light wind" in the sense of using big sails but still generally planing or sailing smaller sails but instead slogg around, not planing until you're on the wave.

Can you maybe tell us a bit more about the conditions you want the board for?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Chesapeake

Ozzy,

I've been able to give the Quad 86 several spins now and as a guy of similar weight, I hope you will find my opinion of value.

I've had the Quad 86 out in winds from upper teens to lower thirties using 5.6 and 5.0 sails (I'm waiting for a 6.4 sail day to check its ultimate light wind performance). What I can say is that the board carries quite well in the lighter winds. In zero wind, the tail of the board is a bit sinky, but any slight forward motion trims the board out well. Schlogging in non-planing winds is quite easy, the tail never seems to break away from you and planes up impressively fast on the first gust. I find the manuevering in moderate powered conditions to be right on. The board responses quickly and tightly with moderate foot pressure and the top cutbacks are really slashy. I have never sailed such a big board that had such a tight turning ability. I've been able to front-side wave sail on side-on shore conditions. On the opposite end, overpowered 5.0 conditions is the limit for me. The board is a surprisingly fast board when juiced and I have had need to dump the sail of all its power before tackling a wave section. Generally I find the board likes to be underpowered to powered, which is fine for east coast US wave sailing, which typically has slower waves and light winds near shore.

I hope this helps in your decision.
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote