Old 13th November 2006, 03:45 AM   #1
riverdog10

Default Rio Fin Options

I'm a new sailor who has been sailing a Rio for about 2 months now- and loving it. I wish to upgrade my fin and was wondering if you can give me some insight on my options. Right now I am using the stock fin that the board came with. Is there something I need to look for specifically to make sure it fits? I just don't want to invest in a fin that will not work with the board. Any recommendations or articles to read would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
riverdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 04:45 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Rio Fin Options

Hi Riverdog10,
Which size Rio do you have?
101 cm wide Rio L; 90 cm wide Rio M; or 85.5 Rio S?
What size sails are you using, and do you use the centerboard most of the time or not at all?
Are you hooked in to your harness and getting back to the farthest back and outboard footstrap positions?
The 41 cm Drake is OK, but you will get earlier planing and better upwind planing performance with a fin in the 60-66 cm range(depends on which Rio you have, might need to drop down to 56 cm if you have the Rio M or S).
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 08:25 AM   #3
riverdog10

Default RE: rio M

Thanks for the response. I am using RIO M and sail with either a 5.0 or 6.5 when the wind picks up a bit. Most of the time i do not use the centerboard. As for footstraps, I'm not quite there yet.
riverdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 05:20 AM   #4
rod_r

Hey riverdog10

Just wondering why you want to upgrade the stock fin. I would have thought someone using those sized sails who is not in the straps would find the stock fin to be quite adequate?

regards,

rod
rod_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again Riverdog,
I'm kind of in agreement with Rod here.
If you aren't fully hooked in and back in the footstraps (as far back and outboard as possible) I'm wondering what you would like a different or larger fin to do for you.
Do you need to go upwind better? Stay upwind better? Get your board planing earlier (this really almost demands a larger rig)?
A 6.5 m2 rig, if you have the skills to use it, is about as small a rig as you can get the full performance from the Rio with.
Certainly you can use smaller sails, but to get the Rio M really fully planing, you would need about 22 knots of wind with the 5.0 m2 rig.
I understand that you are learning, but at what windspeeds are you using your 5.0 m2 rig, and what windspeeds for the 6.5 m2?
I don't think, with your rig sizes, that you are going to see any significant gain with a larger fin.
If you were using an 8.5 m2 or larger rig, then you would have the power to get the Rio M going in somewhere around 10-11 knots, and having the larger fin would support pumping the fin and help to get you going as early as possible.
With your smaller rigs, the stock 41 cm fin should be more than adequate for rigs up to 7.5 m2 (in my expereince with the Rio M).
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote