Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 17th November 2006, 12:17 AM   #1
rtarres

Default Evo 80 or Kombat 79

What board do recommend to me (as a small board), Evo 80 or kombat 79?. For frequent use in highwind bump and jump freeride and occasionally small wave sailing.
Intermediate to advanced level
weight: 143 lbs
I already own (as a moderate to light wind board) a Kombat 97 lts.
Thanks.
rtarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2006, 04:22 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Evo 80 or Kombat 79

While the Pure Acids work very nicely for B&J, the Kombats do it even better and since the Kombats are also VERY good in waves, I would lean towards the K79. For waves and really high wind I would complement it with a fin from the Drake Natural range (22 or 23).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2006, 07:01 AM   #3
Jean-Marc
TEAM

rtarres,

For your 143 lbs/65 kg, I would suggest you can safely choose an even smaller board than Kombat 79 for truly "high wind" B&J freeride.

If you will sail up to Force 7 (< 33 knots) with say a 4.0 sail, a Kombat 79 might be the upper limit for your light weight because of its width (it is for my 65 kg and either a Kombat 86 or a previous HiTech 8&#39;6" (259 x 56 cm x 36 cm OFO x 80 L) both with a 4.2 sail).

If you will sail in Force 7 up to Force 8 or more winds (30-40 knots and above), the smallest board, the better for hardcore freeriding considering your light weight. PureAcid 68 looks like a sweet tool IMHO, much more appropriate than K79 (my old Acid 62 with a 3.6 sail is a real charm up to 40 knots of wind, nasty criss-cross chop and 2 m high swell. Not have the chance to try it yet in Force 9 or more with the 3.0 sail).

So, let me ask you the following :

1) what wind speed does "high wind" mean to you ?
2) what is your smallest sail size you currently have or plan to have in the future ?
3) I guess you are already proficient at waterstarting in every kind of wind conditions, correct ?
4) how is the quality of the "high wind" in your area ? solid/constant/regular or gusty/patchy/irregular ?

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2006, 05:58 AM   #4
rtarres

High winds in my area blows up to 30 Knots, but only a few days per year may blow up to 35. The average winds are about 25/28 knots. They are mostly gusty.
My sails: 3.7 - 4.5 - 5.2 - 6.6
I would like to buy a board for 3.7 to 5.2 conditions.

Thanks.
rtarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 05:18 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

I just saw you asked about EVO or Kombat (not Acid/Kombat as I thought). Then I would say Kombat would clearly be a better choice if you&#39;re not empasizing wave riding. For waves and 3.7-5.2, I would say the Kombat 79 is a tad big (an PA 74 would be a better size, actually, even the PA68 would work for that range) but again, for mostly flat water sailing, the K79 will cover that OK. Powered up 3.7 on a K79 and 143lbs will be a bit hectic though, at least if you&#39;re not good at just put the hammer down and go for it.

So, at least if you get a lot of 3.7 and 4.5 sailing, I would look into the PA74 as a compromise. It&#39;s still super quick to plane and generally efficient with a 5,2. It rides pretty similar to the Kombat, so no transitionsal problems. It will handle 3.7 sailing much easier than the Kombat.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote