Old 17th November 2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Finn

Default Sail size, pump and FT-158

Hi team!
I quite recently bought a F-type 158 and is very found of it. I weigh 76 kg and have at the moment a Maui Sails Pursuit 8,5 as the only sail. The winds around my place is commonly within the interval 7-12 knots. Most of the time I experience that I get the board to almost plane, sometimes my (quite poor) pumping get me into plane but only for a moment. Now I'm thinking of getting a bigger sail to be able to plane easier, maybe 10,5 up to 12 sqm. Which size would you recommend? Or just a better pumping technique?

Thanks in advance!

Finn
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2006, 04:59 PM   #2
PG

Default RE: Sail size, pump and FT-158

Don't go larger than 10.5. After that it is a game of diminishing returns. The only benefit you get of really huge sails are deeper reaches and maybe slightly better upwind performance.
But if you would be doing that (i.e. competing in Formula) you would not have a F-Type.
Get something in the range of 9.8-10.5 and you will most likely be very happy.
And practise on your pumping anyhow as it has a dramatic effect in lowering the planning threshold.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Finn

Thanks for that PG! It sounds plausible even thoug I've seen 11,0 been recommended here at the Forum. But I guess that's for heavier guys.

Cheers!

Finn
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 12:33 AM   #4
James

Hi Finn,

I'm about your weight at 72 kg. I agree with the other posts that 10.0 - 11.0 sqm would be the best sail size for you.

Also, I would avoid dedicated race sails, since they are heavier and harder to rig, and won't help you in light winds. A freeride or freerace sail with no more than 2 cambers would be ideal.

You should also make sure that the sail's boom length isn't too long for you boom. The biggest aluminum booms are about 276 cm; if you buy a sail with a longer boom length than that, you will have to buy a very expensive carbon formula boom.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 12:35 AM   #5
James

Hi Finn,

I'm about your weight at 72 kg. I agree with the other posts that 10.0 - 11.0 sqm would be the best sail size for you.

Also, I would avoid pure race sails, since they are heavier and harder to rig, and won't help you in light winds. A freeride or freerace sail with no more than 2 cambers would be ideal.

You should also make sure that the sail's boom length isn't too long for your boom. The biggest aluminum booms are about 276 cm; if you buy a sail with a longer boom length than that, you will have to buy a very expensive carbon formula boom.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Marco B

Also think about a good low end orientated fin, Finn!

A free race sail also helps you to get in planee easier. I have had the FF-158. For me it worked great with a 10.8 V8 sail and a 70 cm fin with wide tail. I went in planee easier with the V8 then with the RS4 10.7. Because the shape isn't locked that much, you can pump more air into your sail.

Sucess!
Marco B is offline   Reply With Quote