Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 27th August 2009, 02:41 PM   #1
j66

Default Quad for 5,3 sailing

Hi

I want to try something new and the Quad seems to be exactly that! I have a Fanatic Newwave 81 I want to replace with a Quad. I am 75 kg and sail in Klitmoller / Hanstholm (Denmark) and the main sails size is 5,3 and 5,0 (Naish Session), so the board should be perfect with this size. I have a smaller board for higher winds (allwave 72). What Q size would you recommend - Q76, Q81 or Q86?

Jens
j66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

One question first: How have you felt the NW 81 has been in size (ability to feel nice and loose with your biggest sail, float when underpowered, holding speed on the wave fx). SInce sizing is very individual, comments on your own board will help us pinpoint things a bit better.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 05:59 PM   #3
j66

Hi Ola

In powered up condition with 5,3 the newwave is realy nice (my biggest sail for this board). The problem is in marginal/gusty 5,3 conditions I find it hard to keep speed on the wave. And sometimes the tail slides in the topturn when I dont want it to, so a board with more grip in both bottom and top turn would be nice. In non planing conditions I find the newwave to be ok, but its still an issue balancing through the waves heading out - so I guess the new board should not feel any smaller.

Jens
Old 28th August 2009, 03:01 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

OK. I think that puts you in a position where both the Q76 and 81 will work. The 86, I think, will be to big. Unless you're standing completely still, I think you will find the Q76 as floaty feeling as the NW81. It's one of those boards that just stays on top of the water despite not having a lot of volume. And both will keep speed on the wave equally well at your weight and with a 5.3 sail the 81 will not really plane earlier (ie 5.3 is well within the sail size spectrum for both).

So in the end it will be about the 81 having a little bit of extra float and "corkier" feel which will give a tad more comfort in the lightest winds. But the 76 with its shorter length will have a more compact and looser feel to it which also makes it easier to use it in higher winds.

I have both, but for me (at 72kg) the Q76 is definitely as big as I need. I've had a lot of light wind sessions, but even then just prefer the 76. But you are a bit heavier and it's also kind of personal. But given that the NW81 (a narrower board) felt pretty big enough, I think you will be happy with either Q76 or Q81.

And I can pretty much guarantee you will not have problems with either keeping speed or sliding out when you don't want to.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Ray Timm

I weigh 83 kg and now use my Q76 with a 5.3 in place of my E80 when it is marginal. Only when I switch to a 5.7 do I find the extra volume and size of the 80 making a significant difference. As mentioned the Q76 has a lot of float if you have any movement at all. Even when the wind drops to nearly nothing I can still get back to shore much better than I can with my E75.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 03:16 PM   #6
j66

Sounds like the Q76 is the board for me. Talked to my local surf dealer yesterday and they get the 76 in a couple of weeks! Thanks for the advice!

Jens