Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd November 2006, 03:16 PM   #1
viking

Default Max sail size for a board

Hi

There is something I do not understand clearly. How the sail range announced for one board (particularly the max one) is determined?
Because in my opinion, there are some discrepancies from one board to another.

For example, the 68cm width boards: the carve 122 is given with 8.0 max as the Aero 117 which has all its dimensions below the carve ones is given for 8.5, why? On the same time, the Isonic 111, with less volume, is given up to 9.0...
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Default RE: Max sail size for a board

Hi Viking,

This depend particulary of the tail. More the board is wide in the tail more you can carry bigger sails.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 04:55 PM   #3
viking

Thank you!

But in my example, the carve 122 has a wider tail than the aero 117??
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 12:13 AM   #4
steveC

Hi viking,

In reality, I think minimum and maximum sail sizing for boards is a bit subjective because there are quite a few factors which affect performance, and some also have an awful lot to do with the sailor's size and abilities. One important thing to remember is that a board's rockerline can make a lot of difference, which I'm sure gives the iS111, with its flatter more speed oriented rocker, an ability to use larger sails successfully. It's my thought that the curver rockers of the Carve and Aero find it tougher to benefit, especially since they are more focused on maneuverability rather than raw speed and accleration. Also, big sails aren't known for there quick maneuverable handling.

It is interesting to note that Dolf Daam has been using a 9.0 Hot Sails Maui Superfreak with his Aero 117, but he went with a larger than standard custom fin to better balance the sail's area. He has been very vocal about his happiness with the combination. But, considering the recommended sizing, the situation is clearly outside the viable margins.

Generally though, I find that the width of a board (at the middle and tail) indicates a lot about the size of fins it can used, and the fin has direct bearing on sail sizing possible. Still, volume and its distribution enters the picture too, because if the wind drops to questionable levels the board must float everything in a balanced way.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm not involved with "deciding" which sail size span which each board is going to be labeled with. I'm also pretty much a only a wave sailor, so I don't have lots of experience with the boards you mention. But still, my take on the problem is that what kind of sailing the board is intened for makes a lot of difference as does that types of sail that the board is likely to be used with. If we for example compare two boards I have, the Aero 117 (06) and iS101, they sail vastly different (even when the A117 is in freeride mode). The Aero, can be slowly driven onlo a plane and also plane very slowly (but has an extra gear when you go over a certain treshold). It likes to turn, thrives on being pushed down small waves to gain speed etc. The iS101 is in comparasion pretty much all or nothing. In light wind you might need a bit of technique to get it to do anything, but then it just flies off and immediately goes pretty fast. There is just not much in between 5 and 25 knots (of board speed) on the iS (and bring the power on and it will go much faster than that). That the boards get fast so easily means that both the fin and board shape have an easier time handleling that big sail. But again, this asssumes the rider knows a littly bit about what he or she is doing at the very first part of the acceeration phase. On an iS, one can assume the rider has that kind of knowledge (or the will to get it) but the Carve range is intended to ride super easy and not require lot os speciel tricks and hence might be more conservative with sail sizing.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 05:16 AM   #6
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Viking,

There are a lot of variables to take into account : overall outline, overall scoop-rocker line, tail kick, max width and width OFO, rail shape & thickness (hard, boxy, soft, tucked under, etc...), fin area, fin lenght and flex, foil thickness, rider's weight/skills/energy, sail type (cambered, draft & foil shape), sail cut (roach, foot area, aspect ratio), etc...

There is already a lot of interesting posts on this topic. Please, perform a search using appropriate keywords to know more. Here is a starter as follows :

http://www.star-board.com/search.php?stype=f&stext=max%20sail%20size&rowstar t=10

Happy reading...

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Greenroom

I have an E70 and the biggest sail I have put on it is my 5m.
Putting my 5.7m on it I would think would be like putting a V8 in a mini??
Greenroom is offline   Reply With Quote