Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th September 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
docgr

Default 30 Knots spin out ... Help!

Hi everyone,

I-sonic 111 with a 7.1 Point7 AC0 - 38 Drake fin
I-sonic 86 with a 6.2 NP RS slalom - 32 Drake fin

Tried several times, but every time i approach 30 knots always ... always spin out (29,77 spinout ... 29,50 ... and so) both with te 111 and this morning with good wind and the 86.

Ok, I'm going to buy SL4 fins ... but ... is there something else about the trimming that I can do? .. Seems so strange to get 28 ... 29 ... apparently without problem and then .... ooops the board always start sliding ...

Quite a newbe i speed matters .. of course

Thanks for any advice

Giorgio
docgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:03 AM   #2
fin66

It's the drake fin that sucks. my 111 with drake 38 and 44 was completetly impossible. Bought MFC fins 40 and 44 and life is brilliant again.
fin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 02:52 AM   #3
Floyd

Question

Not on team and apologies if my answer is too simplistic or insulting. But as an experiment just try moving your harness lines back approx 2cm on boom.(At point where you think they are a bit just too far back.) Try and go on speed run with rig slightly forward; position you`d put it in to just start bearing away. Note speed now.(If you spin out) Even with a poor fin it should be generating enough lift to not spin out at 30knots. Its been my experience that most spin out problems are rig and or rig position related. As long as you aren`t overloading fin and its not aeration (overloading fin at 30k is difficult !!)

Good luck !!!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 03:46 AM   #4
docgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Not on team and apologies if my answer is too simplistic or insulting. But as an experiment just try moving your harness lines back approx 2cm on boom.(At point where you think they are a bit just too far back.) Try and go on speed run with rig slightly forward; position you`d put it in to just start bearing away. Note speed now.(If you spin out) Even with a poor fin it should be generating enough lift to not spin out at 30knots. Its been my experience that most spin out problems are rig and or rig position related. As long as you aren`t overloading fin and its not aeration (overloading fin at 30k is difficult !!)

Good luck !!!
not insulting at all ... ....tried only 4 times the 111 and just today the 86 ... so i really need to make experience, your advices seems really good .. i'll try! thanks
Old 14th September 2009, 04:26 AM   #5
Ken

It's the fin!

However, I have made a few speed runs on my iS 111 and hit 30 knots with the 38 Drake fin with no trouble, but the water was very flat with 5cm chop at the biggest. I am guessing that you are in choppy water with 10-15 cm chop or larger. Any pressure on the back foot while going over chop with air getting under the board and you will spin out. Better fins don't do that.

I have a tectonics tomcat 42 fin that doesn't spin out. I use it with my 8.4, 7.6 and 6.6. It's a little big for the 6.6, but I prefer it over the Drake 38 without question.

Same deal with the Drake 44, but it's a bit better because of it's size. However, when it does go out, it's almost impossible to pull back, just like the 38.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 01:35 PM   #6
davide

hi Giorgio, I use Drakes, Tectonics Goldwing and Vector Rockit. The only modification I made to my Drake 38 was to fine sand it (1200 grit) and I do not really have problems with it: I experienced some (occasional) spin out in my first days with the Is-111 when loading the fin especially going upwind in chop (when the fin might loose traction), but if I am light on the fin it is it fine and seems fast However my top with the Is-111 is 31 so I am not sure what happens above that although the risk of spin out should decrease with speed ... my goldwing 30 and Rockit 32 regularly see 33-35 (with some dubious 38) with Hot Sails GPS 5.5 and 6.0 and spin out is not a problem. In my experience a light back foot (and very neutral rig) are key to avoid spin out.

Last edited by davide; 14th September 2009 at 01:38 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 05:29 PM   #7
docgr

For Ken ... you're right ... Lake Garda here .... it is choppy ... 20 to 40 cm
spin out happens exactly when, crossing the chops only the fin is in the water .. I'll try to remove back pressure ... but it seems that definitly I'll have to change my fins (after having sanded them .... ;-))

Thanks

Giorgio
Old 14th September 2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Ken

docgr,

Almost any custom fin will make a big difference. It's hard to come up with $150 US for a new fin for a board that comes with two fins, but you will be shocked at the improvement. I have had my Tectonics Tomcat 42 in very rough conditions (6.6 sail / 20-24 knots of wind / .5 to 1 meter chop) with lots of back foot pressure. It rarely spins out and if it does, just back off on the back foot pressure and the fin come right back.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 03:00 AM   #9
docgr

Today I've ordered Deboichet SL4 Fins .... let's see!

Giorgio