Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th September 2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Arvad

Default Rio M - how to get planning faster...

Hi,

Im fairly new to the sport, but have managed to master the trapeze and starting to get into the straps when I can get my board planning.

But Im having some trouble getting my board into a plane unless, it's really windy. Im 180cm and my weight is around 85kg, my sail - or atleast the one I use the most is a Neil Pryde Spirt 7.2 twin camber sail.

Should it be a problem to get this setup planning in 15 - 17knots winds?

I can't figure out if its my technique/skills, that need work - or if I should get a bigger sail perhaps even a 9.0?

Thx

Arvad
Arvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Arvad,
Where do you have your footstraps (forward, middle, to the rear).
Your 7.2 m2 rig should have you flying along in 15 -17 knots at 85 Kg.
Do you have the center board down or up..... and, what fin are you using
in the back of the board?
Where do you have your mast foot placed in the slot...front.... middle...rear?
The Rio M is pretty easy to get on plane, so I'm guessing you may have some
sort of tuning issue.
What year model is your Rio M? Is it start based (wide and short 2007 & earlier) or is it the later longer narrower Rio M 2008 & 2009.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Arvad

Hi Roger,

My footstraps are in the middle position, center board always up, the board is a 2008 model, I'm using the Drake fin that came with the board. Boom in shoulder height, trapeze lines 28"

I have been playing around with the mast foot placement, and have been sailing with the mast foot forward of the center position for some time now.
I'm trying to sail with so much power as possible in my sail, and I feel that I have enough strength to handle the 7.2 sail.

My own guess is, that the first thing I need to work with is the mastfoot placement. Would a rear position be better for me?

When trying to get into a plane, my foot placement would be something like this: forward foot a little in front of the forward foot strap parallel to the center line of the board, back foot in front of the back straps in a 90 degree angle to the center line (foot on the center line).
Then when I feel the board is in a full plane, I first move the front foot in to the front strap, then the rear foot...

But the main problem is getting to the point where I get the board into a full plane, feels like I often tend to turn into the wind and then loosing speed and sail power.

Thx

Arvad
Arvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Ken

Arvad,

Your set up seems fine to me, but I think your problem is that you are trying to get into the straps too soon. Once you begin to plane, keep the board pointing a little below a beam reach until you gain more speed (board flat and not plowing). Then get into straps, front foot first while keeping the power on (don't sheet out). It's not unusual to "head up" a little to facilitate getting into the back strap. This works, but you must have good speed or you will do as you suggested above - "feels like I often tend to turn into the wind and then loosing speed and sail power."

I don't know what Roger's recommendation will be, but I normally "hook in" before I go for the foot straps. This tends to put more force/weight on the mast base and in the center of the board rather than all on my feet. This helps keep the board flat and reduces the likelihood of sinking the windward rail, which causes the board to turn upwind.

It takes some practice to find the correct movements and timing. Keep it up.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 03:31 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again Arvad,
I pretty much agree with what Ken has suggested.
I do think moving the mast foot back to free your Rio M up is a good idea.
I weigh about the same as you do, and when I have planed on a 7.5 m2 rig,
I had the mast foot nearly at the back of the slot.
Ken's suggestion that you are "going for the straps too soon" is probably right on.
The turning upwind is due to you putting weight on your front foot (which is fairly well
outboard away from the f/a centerline of your board) when you go for the back footstrap.
Best way to eliminate this issue is to (as Ken suggests) get hooked in either before either footstrap, or after you get into the front footstrap, but before you go for the rear footstrap.
Being hooked in gives you a couple of advantages:
1/ You can take most of the weight off your feet and put it onto the rig which
drives the board much further forward at the mast foot.
2/ It improves your connection to the board so that you can put nearly all of your weight on the rear foot as you look to get your front foot into the front footstrap.
There's no "absolute" way that you "must" do this sequence.
Work on (as Ken suggests) your own method (what works for you) and is the most comfortable for you.
Getting your front foot in before the board is up to full speed should not be an issue if you carefully place your rear foot right over the f/a centerline of your board, and put virtually all your weight on that foot as you get hooked in and get your front foot into the footstrap. This allows you to steer the board (toes down goes downwind, heel down takes you more upwind) to prevent it from rounding up.
When you have your weight on the harness and rig, and your front foot in the strap, with virtually all your weight now being transferred from your rear foot and onto the rig, it becomes much easier to get your rear foot into the strap without putting any weight on your front foot which will cuase your Rio to "round up".
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 2nd October 2009 at 08:29 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote