Old 4th October 2009, 08:08 PM   #1
pier

Default QUAD 66 or 71 ??

Hi,

My weight is 68kg.
Each year since 10 years, i am used to change my board and i always buy boards with volume between 65l and 73l (maximum)
I only have 3 sails:3.7/4.2 and 4.7.

It is not easy in France to find a shop having the 66 and the 71l available.
I can say that i have not yet succeeded to see one of those twoo boards.

So, i have some questions and after i would like to get your feedback in order to choose my next board in the coming days.

1)i have read that the QUAD 71 has exactly the same shape than the EVO 70l of last year.
Is it true? -> if yes, why there is that difference of 1l?

2)i have tested on last june at Moulay the evo 70l (i do not know if it was a evo from 2009 or 2008) with 4.7m and 20 knots but the 66l was not available.

So, what do i have to choose: 66 or 71?? and why??

Thanks for your feedback,Pier
pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Yes, both 66 and 71 have the same shapes as the EVOs from 09. In test that worked better then the other protos that were developed.

I think that you have switched between 65 and 73 tells th story that you are sort of in between those sizes. With the sails you use and at your weight, I would say the 66 seem like the best shape. But I would say it rides bigger than a typical 66 liter board. It's actually rather narrow. But it still planes early and goes upwind well even when underpowered. But for me (at 72 kilos) the "downside" of the 66 is that it like you to keep a bit of speed on the wave. With the smaller size and less width, you can not in the same way start from almost standing still on the wave and then burst into one big move, at least not of you're not really powered up and it is a good powerful waves. The 71 is looser and has better power in such situations.

So if you sail a lot of underpowerd wave sailing in muchy waves, the 71 might still be worth thinking about. But if you are normally powered up and ride with some speed, the 66 will surely be the best fit overall.

For both boards there is now set of 13cm front fins. Those will definitely help you tune the boards for really high wind and for when you want a slightly "softer" feel on the wave.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote