Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 31st October 2009, 06:17 PM   #1
mrbig

Smile The use of carbon fiber in windsurfing boards

Hi everyone,
I have a pack of unusual questions to Starboard Team (or anyone that has some knowledge about my topic). I need to prepare an A-level presentation from physics. Because I'm very keen on windsurfing, I've decided to write about the use of carbon fibers in windsurfing boards. Because of that I need some information (and would be very thankful if anyone could answer at least one of the questions) :
> How did the technology of Starboard boards developed since it started manufacturing boards? What materials/ technologies were used earlier and how do they differ from the ones used now? When did Starboard started using carbon fibre for making boards? What was the first carbon board made by Starboard (i mean model and/or year of production)?
>Does anyone know what is the relation between the microscopic structure of carbon fibre and it's physical properties?
> Apart from low density, stiffnes and wear resistance, what are the reasons for use of carbon in windsurfing boards? What types of carbon mats are used in different parts of boards and why? Are special types of mats used in different types of boards (e.g. slalom, freestyle, wave)? What are the properties of commonly used mats (i mean their physical data, tables, spreadsheets and all other boring stuff would be very useful )
>What innovations are made to improve properties of carbon boards, is carbon combined with other materials apart from Kevlar and technora? What are the benfits of that?
I would be very thankful and happy if anyone can help and give me some information or tell who can I contact to get it. Oh, and sorry if my language is poor- I come from Poland, and have been studing in England since September 2009 (I am a scholar in an English college)
Cheers,
Lukasz
mrbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

> How did the technology of Starboard boards developed since it started manufacturing boards? What materials/ technologies were used earlier and how do they differ from the ones used now? When did Starboard started using carbon fibre for making boards? What was the first carbon board made by Starboard (i mean model and/or year of production)?

I don't know the details, but you can read a bit on the wood construction, which has some carbon in it, on http://www.star-board.com/2010/produ...technology.php

>Does anyone know what is the relation between the microscopic structure of carbon fibre and it's physical properties?

I think searching on wikipedia and following some links from there will give you better answers than we can provide here.

> Apart from low density, stiffnes and wear resistance, what are the reasons for use of carbon in windsurfing boards? What types of carbon mats are used in different parts of boards and why? Are special types of mats used in different types of boards (e.g. slalom, freestyle, wave)? What are the properties of commonly used mats (i mean their physical data, tables, spreadsheets and all other boring stuff would be very useful )

I don't know the specific properties, but on the link above you can look at the wood carbon constructions and read about some various type of mats, both flat weave and braided. The reasons you give for using carbon, ii, I think, good enough.

>What innovations are made to improve properties of carbon boards, is carbon combined with other materials apart from Kevlar and technora? What are the benfits of that?

Those are some example. For Starboard wood is also used and of course various types of foam and matrix (plastic). Each material has specific roles.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote