Old 7th December 2006, 03:43 AM   #1
welshsurf

Default acid or kombat

hi - I have a carve 111 (04) (used just with a 7.5) and a kombat 95 (05) used with everything else -6.0, 5.2, 4.5- and until I started looking at this website thought I had decided on my next board...

I was going to get an 05 Acid 74 for high wind use as the Kombat starts to feel big for my weight (about 65kg) with smaller than 5.2 sails. I sail on the sea in chop/small waves and a lake near work when I have less time!

I like the Kombat and was happy to keep that and have 3 boards, and thought the Acid would complement it well.

However, I've read some really good comments about the new Kombat 87 in the forum posts so wonder - should I carry on with plan A or trade in the K95 for a K87 and get an Acid later when I can afford it. Most of my sailing is on 5.2/6.0 but I'd like to be on the smallest, fastest board I can get away with.

Thanks for any advice!
welshsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 12:45 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: acid or kombat

Hi welshsurf,

I'm not from the Starboard team, but I think you're on the right track with the Acid 74. If you chose the Kombat 87, your 6.0 sail would be at the very edge of board's recommended margin, whereas I'm sure that your current Kombat 95 handles it quite well.

Another option you might want to consider in place of the Acid 74 would be the Kombat 79. However, it's somewhat wider, and that could make a bit tougher in the highest wind ranges, especially considering your lighter weight. Overall, I think the Acid 74 would be your best choice.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Its always hard to decide how big a quiver one should have. I would say that if you have the money and space, you will no doubt have a quiver with boards whose sweet spots cover a bigger range if you add the 05 A74 to what you have now. The 74 will work very nicely with 5.2 and be a blast with 4.5. The 05 Acid 74 is a great board btw.

The Kombat 87 is indeed a great board and I would say its a fair bit nicer than the Kombat 95. At your weight it will carry a 6.0 very nicely. So it will be a good replacement and definitely work much better with both 5.2 and 4.5, but it can still not compete with the Acid 74 in high wind.

So, what you have to do is try to make a choice. The K87 will give you slightly better feel in you sailing overall compared to now. The 87 is simply a better fit for you. But it can't do miracles with a powered up 4.5 and since you do seem to like the 95 (which _is_ a nice board too), the "add an acid" route seems like the best choice. You always have the option to update the 95 later.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 12:25 AM   #4
welshsurf

Thanks for the advice guys. Have just bought the Acid and will see how things go, hopefully upgrade the Kombat next year. Can't wait to get out on the Acid. Cheers
welshsurf is offline   Reply With Quote