Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th December 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
peterQ

Default Starboard BoardBag for Quad 71

does the Starboard Boardbag for the Quad 71 have 4 opening for the 4 fins?

thx
peterQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 03:37 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm pretty sure they don't. But as long as the bag is not to tight in fit, I usually manage to close it with the fins attached.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 01:30 PM   #3
peterQ

Hi Ola_H,

thanks for your reply.
I know that you have sailed this board and you probably know how it compares to more classic one-fin board such as the F2 rebel or the Quatro of 2008 or the Goya of 2008 of similar Volume. How it behaves in riding, in jumps, in chop, etc
I usually go holidays in the Greek Islands, you probably know the conditions there and I was wondering how the Quad will be of any help to improve my style etc.
Old 6th December 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I know the board, but can you maybe describe the conditions and type of sailing abit more, as I actually never sailed Greece.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:15 AM   #5
peterQ

mainly Onshore, cross-onshore, Pozo-like conditions, waves up to 1.5 meters,
Old 7th December 2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Very roughtly speaking, I would say the Q71 would have the same kind of straight line stability like the sort of stubby looking Rebel, while a super fast rockered board like the Goya would feel more directional in a straight line. Once turning, the Q71 has a tighter radius than the Goya, maybe more like the Rebel, but the quad setup both make is looser in the turn initiation and enables you do generate and contain speed also in a drawn out turn much better. Particularly in onshore it is astonishing how the Quads let you make both super short turns on the wave face as well as longer ones. . Top turns are also in another league. The fins stick to a carve incredible well and you can finish your turns better, both when you carve them through and when you whip the board around. Amazing for onshore. And since the Quads also plane earlier and go upwind much better than fx EVOs ever did, I'd say they are super good all round board for what you describe.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:10 AM   #7
peterQ

Ola_H,
Thanks very much for your analysis.
2 days ago I had the opportunity to test the Kode74 which I found very exciting particularly due to its flat deck. My current board, goya 72 has a dome-like-deck especially between the straps making it extremely unforgiving. I liked Kode also because it is very slim, its is like a shell, very convenient for the onshore/choppy conditions. In Waveriding is also better, more controlled turns.

I was wondering if you could compare the Quad 71 to Kode 74 (in waveriding-turns and cutbacks) since now I have already the experience of the Kode it will be easier to understand how the Quad 71 feels like.

Last edited by peterQ; 13th December 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 14th December 2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

I love flat decks myself and really can't understand why some shapers put so much dome in. The Quads are also flat decked.

It's not super easy to comapare the Kode 74 and Quad 71. They are quite different. But I will try. The Kode is a modern version of a classic single fin. Really smooth and stable and with a quite fast rocker. The bottom shape make it really easy to get its rails in the water for long and stable turns and it have a rather direct feel where you can really feel the rails doing their job. The single fin design will make it a tad slower going into the turn and the board prefers when you commit into the turns. Top turns are loose and easy, but you can feel there is some power in the tail. In really fast conditions a smaller fins will help to keep the board loose. In more onshore type conditions, the sailor need to still keep some drive through the turns, since this is required for the board to turn tight.

In comparison, the Quad (71) is a tad wider and has a wider tail, but the quad setup still makes it quick in the turn entry. Not as quick as some twin fins, but much quicker than single fin of similar shape/width. The Quad also has a lot of drive in the bottom turn which the Kode also has, but the Quad is just one step above which for example means that in onshore, it's really easy to generate and keep speed when you need to draw your turn out a bit. But a difference to the Kode is that I fins the Quad 71 a bit easier to tighten up in the turn even when you are not perfectly balanced. In other words, the Quad is less demanding for doing tight bottom turns in onshore-type conditions.

In the top turn, the quad is again easy to get into the turn relative how wider it is, ie on par with the narrower Kode. It generates a quite powerful and grippy top turn, but it's also here a bit easier to tighten the turn up also to finish up further back towards where you can from.

So, as I see it there are lots of benefits with the Quad. But at the same time, the Kode is such a super smooth and dependable board. You just KNOW how it will react every time. The Quad may be a tad earlier planing (not much difference) and may go better upwind, but the Kode is still kind of faster from the get go and is also really, really fast when fully lit. Also in a straight line you can feel the predictability and dependability.

So overall I find the Quad offer a bit of novel feel and that there is maybe more wave performance to find in this shape. It do most things really well but then adds some stuff that other boards I tried just don't have in their repertoire. The Kode on the other hand is also a great allrounder. It the latest and most fine tuned version of the classic wave board as well as a really good high wind freerider. In some conditions it may require some more technique to equal the Quad, but in the other hand the smooth and predictable character of it is also very inspiring when it comes to charging harder.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:00 PM   #9
peterQ

thanks very much for your detailed analysis.
now I would have to decide which Quad? the 76? or the 71?
I have 74 kilos what would you suggest?
My smaller sail is 3.7 and my bigger 5.3, they fit perfectly with the quad 76 but I worry a bit about the high end, probably the 76 is too big to sail with a 3.7 or even 4.0 sail.
Please advise.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:47 PM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Yes, the Quad 76 is a rather big board and at your weight it will be too big for 4.0. So I would easily recommend the Quad71 which handles 5.3 really well. To extend the high wind range I would also get a set of 13cm front fins for the board. This softens the ride up a bit and makes it easier to ride in choppy overpowered conditions.