Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th January 2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Unregistered

Question Should Buying New Equipment be stressful

Hello ALL
I have this dilemma. At the end of last season I said to myself I'm buying new equipment next year. My Current gear is at least 15 years old. I got out of the sport for a while because of Kids and time. But now that my Kids are a little older I started back up last year. So in 2010 I start pricing out Futuras and Go's and I'm looking at about 2500 hundred for a package type deal. This is for all new everything. I thought it was going to be expensive but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger. My question is will new gear give me a 2500 dollar bang on the water. My Current Board is 180 liters with a centerboard. I'm an intermediate sailor at best and I'm about 110KG. Sailing is mostly on inland lakes between 8 to 15 knots. I would appreciate any advice from someone who has been in my spot for buying new equipment and advice on new gear. I can afford it by I keep asking myself is it really worth it or should I be putting this money towards my kids education. Thanks
Old 30th January 2010, 05:24 AM   #2
carvesalot

let the kids work their way through college. based on your last gear purchase this new stuff will cost $166 a year, treat yourself.

The performance difference in gear over that period is not grey , its BLACK & White .
You will get more time on the water with more userfriendly kit, feel better about yourself, you helped the lousy economy, and cause of that spend more quality time with the kids. my 2cents

Last edited by carvesalot; 30th January 2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: .
carvesalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 06:24 PM   #3
PG

First: reduce your budget by looking at older unused gear (like seasons 2007, 2008 and 2009). You can find very good gear (no real difference to 2010 models at your skill level) at half the price. There are also good deals on used equipment (but that then depends on your location)!
With your weight and conditions you are going to need a big sail, no less than 9 m2 to get planing reasonably often. And a matching board with at least 140 liter of volume, preferrably a little more, a width of some 80 cm.
Or then you should be looking at a modern longboard like Kona One or Starboard Phantom 320 that is meaningful to sail also in non-planing winds.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
joe_windsurfer

hello:

was in same boat as you - using a BIC Dufour Wing and later BIC Samba
both were great lake boards and actually used a 7.0 cammed sail :-)
enjoyed cruisin, blasting, trying to take kids etc

am also now 110kg - was about 120 kg 2 years - still workin on this one :-(

2 years ago i turned 50 {and have 4 kids with 1 university, 2 college, etc}

it was either a new digital camera or a new board
cameras go down and boards are still going up
purchased a 160 liter / 79 cm wide board for about $1500 - was older model but new

for one year i used old sails to get the hang of it
it still worked on the lake due to large 53 cm race fin

last year i decided it was time to put a bigger newer sail on
the sail brand i use now only goes to 8.5 non-cammed, but that is fine
with this sail and practice i discovered the difference between going fast and planing - bought 2 year old model cheaper with mast, boom $1000
now the lake is not looked for, but used when we are there :-)
i.e. never looked back
for next year i already purchased carbon boom used and 10.0 race sail with mast used - again looking for more TOW and not lookin back

btw purchased a used Nikon D-70 for about $200 - all worked out :-)

so, yes, if you love w/s and can do it bit by bit, it will cost about $2500
am i sorry, NO
my wife now says i love windsurfing more than her :-)
since i am a teaser , i do not respond @ all when she says that :-)

love your wife, family and kids as much as possible and treat yourself :-)
sometimes wish i could get my family into it more, butt maybe windsurfing is like a secret cult - keep it to yourself or the beaches get too crowded :-)

hope it all works out for you bud
from what i understand about SB, go for the GO

joe windsurfer

btw looks like GO 144 or 155 will do the job
next fellow says go for used
my issue was finding used in the above 150 liter range
moral of the story = DON'T STRESS
can you borrow stuff from anyone ??

Last edited by joe_windsurfer; 31st January 2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: xxx
joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 08:49 PM   #5
agrelon

Definitely what I've learnt from experience is that windsurfing is one of those sports where you "grow out" equipment as you progress. ie. I year ago I thought a 130l board wasn't going to be buoyant enough for me and now I'm considering an 86l board.

Conclusion: Buy second hand until you reach a point where you're really gonna enjoy the new kit right off the bat.

Great thing with second hand material too is that you have a lot less stress. If you scratch it here or there it doesn't really matter.

On the contrary, if you get a Futura (say 133 or 144) now, when you progress you can keep that as your light wind board and get a smaller one for stronger wind.

It is your money but definitely have a look around for second hand kit, you can find some really good stuff if you know where to look.
Old 31st January 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
mike

The original poster said he is 110 kg, sails 8-15 knots in a lake and has an old long board with centerboard. Going used or older unused is a good idea, but perhaps a further question is what kind of sailing he is after. If it's 8-15 knots, this may mean an average of 11-12 knots with gusts to 15? If this is true and if his objective is planning, then he's looking at formula with 10m sail.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 03:49 AM   #7
carvesalot

the OP has a problem spending the money, so far , no debate of which board or sail

but perhaps... a further question

once he makes up his mind
Old 1st February 2010, 03:50 AM   #8
joe_windsurfer

is it recommended for someone to go from 15 year old longboard to formula ?

i had read in some forums, people suggest floaty shortboard first , non ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Unregistered

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all your good advice above. I'm feeling better about spending my money. I've really only had interaction with people trying sell me gear from their shop so it good to hear from real people who have been in my position or have advice on it. I'm leaning toward the short floaty type of board like a Go or Futura 155. Remember I'm kind of heavy at 110kg so this seems small to me. I really just want to go fast, I like the comment above about the difference between planning and what going fast is. I've had a few people mention the Longboards like Kona One because you can use it any conditions. Is there any pitfalls I should stay away from when buying gear online? Thanks Again for the help.
Old 1st February 2010, 05:28 PM   #10
joe_windsurfer

why are you buying on-line?

my friend had bad experience buying on-line - no support after for issues

for first buy don't you want local shop support and recommendations ??

you buy your first board like a car - go back many times - touch it , smell it , feel it :-)

just my 2 "sense"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.