Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th February 2010, 10:58 AM   #1
eric b 125

Default transporting equipment w/ small car

i drive a '03 vw golf- not exactly the roomiest car in the world. i have a thule roof rack that i would strap everything to: a fanatic ultra cat, a one piece mast, and a 91 gaastra slalomfoil 6.2.

this was okay last season since i knew i was getting new equipment (sails) and if i pinched the sail in the roof straps it was no big deal. this year i'm going at it with a 6.5 and 8.5, and two masts. also, the futura 144 is a little wider than the ultra cat, so that takes up more real-estate on the rack.

what is the best way of transporting sails on a roof rack, without risk of pinching them?
eric b 125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Unregistered

You buy a quiver bag which nowadays all come with strap holes through the underside.
So you are tightening the staps on the underneath not crushing the sails like the old days !
Old 19th February 2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Unregistered

Get a Thule solid box which can live on the roof.
Better still, take all the seats out of the car and put the sails inside !!
Old 19th February 2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Ken

Before I had a van to carry everything, I used four door sedans to carry all my gear. I got strange looks from car salesmen when I would recline the passenger side seat all the way back and then use a tape measure to check the distance between the floor up front on the passenger side to the rear window behind the driver to see if my 10.0 sail would fit inside.

A golf may hold an 8.5 inside. If so, there should be plenty of room for 3 or 4 sails and a couple of booms.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 09:29 PM   #5
nonopr

Smile Buy One of these.

Sell everyhting and go big like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cargo Van 2009 002.jpg (38.2 KB, 31 views)
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 01:13 AM   #6
eric b 125

i'll have to check out a quiver bag. i can fit the 8.5 and 6.5 both inside the car, like ken was saying, but every now and then my girlfriend likes to come to the lake w/ me to ride the trails on her bike and we just take one car.

i'd consider a thule solid box for the rack, but then i'd have no place for my board.
Old 20th February 2010, 03:00 AM   #7
joe_windsurfer

my buddy manages to put his bic techno II/160 82 cm wide AND the thule box on the roof of his mazda 5. it sorta sticks out the side, but not really. his issue is the 8.5 does NOT fit in the thule $%^&*()_ me, i got the family van

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 04:59 AM   #8
norm

My previous car was a Golf. With a NP quiver bag I got three masts in the designated pockets at the bottom and four sails in the sail compartment (5.5, 6.0, 7.0 and 9.0). I placed that on one side and put the boards on the other (Go 180 (GF's later wife's), Hypersonic 110 and a Kode 93) with the booms on top. It worked perfectly, the equipment more or less lives on the car roof during season. My sails are aging gracfully, any wear has come from use, not living on a car roof.
norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Unregistered

Eric,
The Thule (or is it Quiverack ?) has a "rear entry" system so you can put the board on top
Old 20th February 2010, 09:56 PM   #10
eric b 125

thanks for the responsed guys. i thought i posted a response last night, but it's not posted for whatever reason...
i checked out thules website and couldnt find a box that would fit the 8.5, like joe_windsurfer's buddy. i live in a nice section of town, but because of on-street parking everything comes inside everyday, so i think a quiver bag would better fit my needs. i can just unstrap the bag everday, and carry/ store everything together. i found some decent quiver bags on manufacturer websites, but nothing on dealer sites. i live in pittsburgh, pa, so there are no surf shops around whatsoever and i depend on online vendors to buy my sailing equipment. i'm not sure if we can post links to websites on this forum, but if we are allowed and any of you know of a dealer that sells such quivers, i'd be real grateful for a link. thanks again.