Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th April 2010, 02:32 AM   #1
axel.gern

Default Footstrap screws

This week I received my Quad 71. Yesterday I tried to prepare it for my first ride, but I failed with the footstraps. The screws delivered by starboard are much to thick for the plugs. I am really surprised. What to do now?
axel.gern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello Axel:
The new 7mm x 32 mm footstrap screws do indeed fit into the inserts in
your new Quad 71.
Starboard R&D came up with this solution (7mm screws in inserts originally
designed for 6mm) to correct the "footstrap screw pullout" issues that have
continually caused problems with Starboard boards.
So, in my opinion, you can safely use the new 7mm x 32 mm screws in your
new Quad.
If, for some reason, there are problems or issues, you should have warranty
coverage for the damage done by these screws.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Yeah, I had a hard time with the 7mm screws too at first and thought they were much to thick to fit. But then I just screwed them in anyway and everything went perfect on all four boards I had. So they indeed do fit so just try again with the supplied screwdriver. Or did you damage the screws trying?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 06:16 PM   #4
John1

Default Footstrap screws Pure Acid 2006

Hi.
I have the acid 88 year 2002 model And I "love" that board. I have never had problems with the footstrap screws with that board.
But; I have read a lot of the Pure Acid 2006 80 litres so I have bought one and it has never been on the water yet. I shall put on the footstraps now.
Can I expect some problem with the screws in the future with that model or is it only a problem with the newer boards?
Is it safe to use the thicker and longer screws for the acid 2006 or is it not prepaired for that.
I´m looking forward to hearing from you.
John1 (Skåne-Sweden).
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

It has 28*6mm screws and personally I never had a problem with them and I probably had like 20 Starboards with that type of screw through the years. Just take care and really push down (straight) when mounting them the first time so the grip well from the start and you should be good.

And if worse comes to worse, now when the thicker 7mm screw is available it is easier then ever to recover if a plug should get bad some time in the future.
Old 5th April 2010, 08:15 PM   #6
John1

Thank you Dr. Ola.
I shall push them straight down when mounting them and after some time screw them down once more and fix them with some sort of locktite.
with regards,
John1.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 01:47 AM   #7
axel.gern

Dear Roger and Ola,

thank you very much for your quick reply. Hopefully this is the solution to my "footstrap screw pullout" problem I have with my Evo 2008.

Okay, possibly I handled the screws with too much care. As you advised I just screwed. Overall it worked! But three more things:
1. I think I have a fitting screwdriver but I damaged one of the screws. I am trying to get one new from my dealer.
2. Ola: you mentioned a supplied screwdriver. I don't have one, neither from my 2008 Evo nor from my Quad.
3. While screwing I heard something like a crunch. Then I saw that some material went off on the transition between the screw hole and the hole for the antitwist plug. Do you think that I can run into problems with that, e.g. waterproof. Should I fix it with epoxy?

Thanx,
Axel
axel.gern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 10:20 AM   #8
RadiantX

I received 7mm with my new Futura and found it difficult to screw in initially. What I did was partly screw in (a few turns only) a 6mm screw from a previous years Kode, just to start off. The new 7mm screws then screw in easily. I also rub some soap on the screws before inserting.

axel.gern - I too heard some faint "crunching" when inserting the new 7mm screws for the first time. I'm fairly certain this is not a problem as it's only due to the slightly larger diameter screw going in and it being a tighter fit.
RadiantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

All,
The suggestion to run a 6mm screw in partially ( as a "starter" for the 7mm), and especially the suggestion to use a bar of soap (as a lubricant) on the 7 mm screws
should get your 7mm footstrap screws in your new boards with as few issues as
possible.
As far as screwdrivers, make sure you have a good high quality #3 Phillips Screwdriver.
High quality #3 Phillips screwdrivers normally have a hardened and surface treated tip
(normally it's black oxided coated and while the shank may be chromed, the tip is black).
The hardened tip will have good "geometry" and surface finish characteristics that help the tip lock into the softer SS screw and will not damage or strip the cross recess (Phillips) drive in the head of the screw.
DO NOT use a power drill/driver as this will run the screws in too fast and heat up the
plastic of the insert (due to friction from the very tight screw).
I too, like Ola, really did not have any significant issues with the 6mmx 28 screws, but I always used soap as a lubricant, used the correct screwdriver with the right tip material and geometry, ran a bare screw into the holes to give the screw a smooth start, and clamped the K9 locks and oval plates with a "C" clamp to compress them and get the K9 lock spikes to pierce/penetrate the nylon in the footstrap.
If you take your time; use the correct tools and lubricant; you should be able to install your footstraps and expect them to last the life of the board.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel.gern View Post
Dear Roger and Ola,

thank you very much for your quick reply. Hopefully this is the solution to my "footstrap screw pullout" problem I have with my Evo 2008.

Okay, possibly I handled the screws with too much care. As you advised I just screwed. Overall it worked! But three more things:
1. I think I have a fitting screwdriver but I damaged one of the screws. I am trying to get one new from my dealer.
2. Ola: you mentioned a supplied screwdriver. I don't have one, neither from my 2008 Evo nor from my Quad.
3. While screwing I heard something like a crunch. Then I saw that some material went off on the transition between the screw hole and the hole for the antitwist plug. Do you think that I can run into problems with that, e.g. waterproof. Should I fix it with epoxy?

Thanx,
Axel
Roger already answered, but like he said, Just use a high quality PH 3 bit that you can feel fit really well in the screws. The plugs contain both the actual screw holes and the hole for the anti twins device, so some chipping in between will not let water inside.