Old 7th April 2010, 08:32 AM   #1
webby

Default Mast/sail combination

Hello all,

Actually I have two questions. First, are Fiberspar masts compatible with Severne and Neil Pryde sails. Specifically a Severne element 9.5 and a Neil Pryde V8 7.5. Second, I have a 2006 Carve 144. I love it. It was my first board. However, I am thinking of up-grading to a Futura; my question is should I go for a 133 or a 141. I like the volume of a 144 for lite to moderate winds, but I am wondering if there would be advantages to going with a 133 now that I have more experience?

Thank you,

Webby
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Webby,
Which size/model #/carbon content Fiberspar masts are you thinking of buying?
Check them out on this link and let us know:
http://www.fibersparsports.com/
The QT models (nearly all of them) are a little soft at the top, so while they will work in
your NP/Severne sails, they may not be the best choice to get the max. performance from
your rigs. You may have to do some "innovative" rigging to get around the slightly softer
top.
As far as the 144/133 choice, how much do you weigh, and what windspeeds do you
normally sail in?
The 10 liters of volume and difference in width can make a big difference if most of your sailing is in light winds down near the minimum planing threshold, but a smaller/narrower board will be better up near the high wind limits on your 7.5 m2.
Experience is good, and the extra volume/width was a very good thing when you were learning, but maybe it's time for a smaller board, depending on your weight and the windspeeds you get.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:19 PM   #3
webby

Hi, Roger,

I was planning on getting the 4800 QT 75% carbon mast in a 490 for the 9.5 and a 460 for the 7.5.

As far as my weight, I am 180 lbs, and as I have not yet become too much of a wind snob yet, I will sail in winds as low as 10 knots up to about 30-35 knots. I have smaller sails for the higher winds. I prefered a bigger board to begin with as I had not yet felt completely comfortable in my ability to waterstart until last year. However, I do still enjoy sailing in relatively marginal conditions as well as higher winds.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote