Old 29th December 2006, 08:07 PM   #1
samuel1972

Send a message via MSN to samuel1972
Default R19 spinout on 160

As the 161 are not yet available on my country, we are sailing with the 160.

I bought the R19 soft +8 and began using on my board, but as I press a little bit more the rear leg in order to 'close the gap' and try to point more upwind, the fin tends to spinout, forcing me to lose some angle and speed. The interesting thing is that is less common to happen with the original Drake and with another R13 73 cut S+7 that I used before.

The question is? Is it because this fin will work only on the 161? I don??t think so but need to know. What about mast base? Where shoul I use it? Mostly I use it a little bit back from the middle. Is it ok for me that am 1,89 and weight 88 kgs?

I sail with NP 10.7, and Vapor 12.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
samuel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Thomas

Default RE: R19 spinout on 160

Hi Samuel,
First of all the R19 is a really good fin,my F161 points higher with this one than with every else one in my quiver.
In the beginning I have experienced the same spinout problem on F161 with the R19 S-- +8 but also with a very good Hurricane Fin that I??ve used with no problem before on F160.I think it is because of the wide F161 tail where the stance is more outwards and backwards so I put more power on the fin with the same amount of foot pressure compared to F160.
It got better with the masttrack far back,with 11.6 the base nearly covers the serial number,found out that with track more forward I simply overload the fin trying to unstick the board and let it fly.
But for me the key was to reduce the rake angle.
I have found out that for my personal style a +8 raked fin,this is 3 degrees back,is to powerful,always had 5 degree fins and felt fine.The+8 finpower comes very "explosives" to me and tends to spinout when pushed hard on the upwind leg.
In the meanwhile I have reached a rake of +6.5 and the drive of the fin is lot smoother,maybe I will loose some performance but now I??m able again to push the fin as hard as I want to.
I made the same experience with a R13 m +8 and R13 s-- 73 +8.
All the fins are raked now around +6,I??m feeling comfortable again having exactly the fin power I need with a lot less tendency to spinout.
If your sail is tuned the right way you just have to play around a little with masttrack and rake angle to find out what fits your personal style the best.
Greetings,Tom
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 05:18 PM   #3
samuel1972

Send a message via MSN to samuel1972

Yes Thomas, I thought about the possibility of changing the rake to make some 'tests'. I??ll do it.

Remember that I'm sailing a 160, not 161. Do you remember where you use the mast track? Because covering the serial numbers on the 160 is lot way behind... Is it like this really?

What I feel is that if I put the mastbase a little further, It's easier to 'close the gap' and get more control and angle upwind. Do you feel the same?

BR

samuel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Thomas

Samuel,

even on F160 I had the base very far back with 11.6 sail,about 1cm in front of the serial number,most important thing to me is that the board is really free and flies only over the fin.For closing the gap
maybe you should try to put a little more more downhaul on your sail,put the boom a little more down or use the lowest grommet on your sail to attach the outhaul rope and change positions of your harnesslines,this all will help you to close the gap.
To avoid getting into a struggle write everything you change on a sheet of paper and just go out and try.
Greetings,Thomas
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote