Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 17th April 2010, 05:13 AM   #1
mike

Default Kode vs Flare for learning freestyle

Actually I have the kombat but was wondering how the ease of learning sliding freestyle (Vulcans to start) compares on the Kombat vs Flare. My sailing conditions/ opportunities are not overly ideal for learning sliding freestyle but I wonder if I'm significantly holding myself back even further by not having the right gear.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Most of the freestyle boards are thicker, wider and have more volume in the tail.
and they have diffrent feeling for pure freestyle moves.

But I haven't sailed with the Kombat much as I had mostly use the Flare.

But I find that the kode is pretty much a good high wind freestyle board and even good if the conditions gets choppy and wavy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:38 AM   #3
elivillalabeitia

i have a similar question, my 15 y o son has a jp freewave 93 lts, and is starting to get motivated with freestyle, hes getting geckos prety clean and other basic freestyle moves two, but when it comes to sliding tricks he has problems because his tail catches to easy, and he wanted to know if a full freestyle board would help with problems like this. plz reply, thx.
elivillalabeitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Unregistered

regarding this issue the 2 boards here (kombat & jp fsw) come with pretty big fins - before buying a new board 1st try a smaller (20-23) fin that will help stop the backend catching in the slide.
Ciao
Scotty
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:01 AM   #5
Helmer

My sons freestyle learning curve accelerated when i came onto a pure Freestyle board and also the smaler fin is a major tip for improved learning.
We now use the flare and a 16 cm Kiri style Choco fin. At first the board is all over the place but learning to use the rails (15 min. practice) then the kids just keep on amazing me.
It does not have to be this years model. I would expect minor improovements over the last 3 generations of boards, looking at all brands, pure freestyle boards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Helmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:10 PM   #6
mike

Thanks for all the above feedback. Think I'll try to make a smaller freestyle fin work first & then see how things go from there.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote