Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 21st August 2006, 10:19 PM   #1
norm

Default Kombat, S-type or Carve as high wind board

At the moment I'm the proud owner of a Hypersonic 111 (2005 mod) and a sail quiver ranging from 5,5 to 9 m2, although with the 5.5 sail, the board is a bit of a handful, especially in choppy conditions. I normally sail in a busy shipping lane where waves can reach 1.5 meter. The trouble is that the waves are reflected by different islands nearby and combined with heavy boat traffic, the waves can be a real challenge. Instead of pushing max speed, I find myself in survival modus more often than not.

Enter the ?high wind board?. Going through the new range, I find that Combat, S-type or Carve could work. (EVO is not included, I?m sceptical to a pure wave board unless convinced otherwise). My assessment goes:

S-type 93: I have tried the 2006 104 litre and I found it extremely quick and easy to handle in choppy conditions. I guess the 93 will feel similar. However, in the winds I plan to use this board, the focus will be on manoeuvres and jumping, and I do not see this board as ideal for this.

Carve 101: Only tried bigger versions. On the paper, the Carve looks like an good match, but at 101 liters and 62.5 cm it is a bit big.

Kombat 87/97: Windsurf Magazine suggested in a test last year that the 87 liter would be the best option for light to medium weight sailors. With my 80 kg I guess I?m in the middle between medium and heavy. Don?t like the US fin box though.

I?m comfortable with jibes, heli-tacks, easy jumps, sailing clew first, back winded, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions to which board I should select.

best regards
norm
norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Kombat, S-type or Carve as high wind board

Hi Norm,
You want this as a replacement for your Hypersonic, or as a 2nd board to cover the higher wind, rougher chop conditions where your Hyper becomes a handful?
If you want a "bump and jump" type board, then my suggestions would be the Kombat 97 and the S-Type 93.
If you still want to try to go fast, then the S-Type 93 and Isonic 94/101 would be good.
The Carve 101 is a real good all around board and could surprise you here.
Overall, I'd suggest the Kombat 97 and S-Type 94 as being the most appropriate for your requested conditions.
The S-Type is a bit faster, but jumps pretty well too.
The Kombat is more "slashy" jumps well, and is a dream to jibe.
Only you can ultimately make the choice here.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 05:26 AM   #3
Duracell

I gues you are talking about a second board, don't think youl'll be putitng a 9.0 on a K87/97...

ST104 or ST93 fast, chop okay, but not jumpy jumpy
K86 not as fast but oh man, fun fun fun, jumpy gyby
I weigh ~ 80 was out nwow 7 times on my new K86 in 4.2-5.0 conditions and am most happy. Had ST104, was happy too but fun wise -> K86. You might have to get another fin, K86 came with two fins (300 freride and 240? wave), K87 comes with one (between the size of the K86 freeride and wave) or still with two since the first board usually get the old fins from the previous model...
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 05:28 AM   #4
Duracell

I gues you are talking about a second board, don't think youl'll be putitng a 9.0 on a K87/97...

Had the C111 is fast but not fun and not as fast as the ST
ST104 or ST93 fast, chop okay, but not jumpy jumpy
K86 not as fast but oh man, fun fun fun, jumpy gyby
I weigh ~ 80 was out nwow 7 times on my new K86 in 4.2-5.0 conditions (flat water and waves) and am most happy. Had ST104, was happy too but fun wise -> K86. You might have to get another fin, K86 came with two fins (300 freride and 240? wave), K87 comes with one (between the size of the K86 freeride and wave) or still with two since the first board usually get the old fins from the previous model...
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 10:15 PM   #5
norm

Duracell, Roger

Thanks for constructive feedback, I guess it will be Kombat 87 then.

Norm
norm is offline   Reply With Quote