Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd May 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
zincopper

Default iSonic 150

Heya, Was hoping to get some feedback for the iSonic 150. I am a 80 kg sailor, and am using a 180L formula with a 70cm fin, 11m severne overdrive at the moment.

Sometimes, the wind dies (not enough to plane upwind), I have a long boring slog upwind. I am going to receive my 2010 iSonic 150 w/ 58 &62 cam fin in a few days, would it be better upwind in planing and non planing modes? Took me a long time to decide on the 150 but I did cos the wind in Singapore is "extreme"!!!

Also, because I used to sail a longboard, does railing the board (formula/slalom) while not planing help with upwind ability? I am getting rather annoyed with myself for not getting upwind fast enough!
zincopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Ken

zincopper,

Nothing beats a formula board upwind while planing, but the iS150 should do really well.

I don't really know if the 150 will slog upwind better or worse than your formula board. I have done plenty of slogging on my formula board, but I have an iS 111, so there is really no comparison. My guess is that your formula board will still be better at slogging upwind than the 150.

While slogging, you must sink the UPWIND rail to work upwind, just the opposite of the planing technique (sink the downwind rail).

Actually, with the really wide boards (formula and iS 150), you should try to keep the board pretty flat if well powered, but the downwind rail will actually be 10 to 20 degrees lower. This "railing" will increase a little as the wind drops and you lose full power (hang in the harness and rail the board up a bit for maximum pointing).
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:13 PM   #3
zincopper

That's strange... sink the windward rail to get upwind while slogging? Well, using a longboard, I have been taught to sink the leeward rail to go upwind...

I am having massive trouble slogging upwind with a formula and a 11m sail, to the extent I had to be rescued by the club's speedboat 2 days ago! ( I took well over an hour covering barely any ground...)

Also, Do you know if the iSonic 150's too big to enter slalom races? I heard it exceeds the width for a slolom board. Does that mean I cant race with it in any competitions?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 4th May 2010, 12:08 AM   #4
Ken

Yep - sink the upwind rail on a slalom / formula board to go upwind. I raced longboards for over 15 years and you are right - sink the downwind rail for upwind performance, but you have a dagger board and 12' of length to maximize your lateral resistance on the long board and that makes the difference.

Formula boards are dogs slogging upwind, but I have been in many races where the wind was 5-8 knots and those that could pump on plane could not get upwind any faster than those that slowly slogged upwind. The exception would be the very small and lightweight sailor.

Why do you sail so far downwind that it takes an hour to get back? Start upwind and keep upwind so that if the wind dies and you get stuck slogging, it's easy to get home.

Unless you are racing in the PWA (80cm maximum width), don't worry about the width of a slalom board. I don't know of anyone that uses the 80cm rule for slalom racing outside of the PWA. However, I am not all the familiar with worldwide slalom racing to know if anyone actually uses a maximum width rule, but slalom racing is usually held in moderate to windy conditions to accommodate the masses. It's unlikely that you will find a slalom race run in 8-12 knots where the iS 150 would excel. Once over 12-14 knots, the smaller slalom boards will have an advantage for the average size sailor.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:28 AM   #5
zincopper

Hi Ken,

I will definitely try out sinking the windward rail, next time I get stuck! I was trying gybing and all, cos I just got a 11m sail, and am still not used to the weight while gybing, and thus ended up rather far downwind! Also, I have realized that in marginal conditions, not to try and plane upwind, but just point all the way! (learnt that the hard way).

I am from Singapore, where wind is rather pathetic, and I have been trying to keep a consistent speed with a mistral super vision 161. With a 8.5 sail, I always drop out of a plane and the local hardcore sailor who can pump insanely well always passes me! And thus my grand idea of using a iSonic 150 with an 11m sail... We'll see how that goes...
Old 4th May 2010, 10:55 PM   #6
IRL-250

Send a message via Skype™ to IRL-250

As far as i know the maximum width rule for Slalom Boards is 85cm which the I Sonic 131 and 144 (both 85cm wide) both conform to. Here in Ireland and in the UK they use the maximum width rule in slalom events so we couldn't use the I Sonic 150 here for slalom racing so you need to check with the people organising slalom events in your country to check out if you can use the board

KA Sails (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Chinook (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Koncept 4.4, 5.0, 5.8, 6.6, 7.5, 8.3, 9.5
KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m

Starboard - Isonic Speed W53, Phantom 380, Quatro 85l Evil Twin Custom.
IRL-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 10:42 PM   #7
johnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincopper View Post

I am having massive trouble slogging upwind with a formula and a 11m sail
I really struggle with slogging upwind on my formula board as well. The technique of sailing upwind by sinking the windward rail works brilliantly on my smaller and narrower boards however, I have never found it to be as effective on my formula board. I asked around last season about this very topic after getting stuck downwind a few times myself.

Seems like some recommend sinking the windward rail while others suggest keeping the board perfectly flat, moving forward, and maximizing lift from the fin. It was explained to me that sinking the windward rail in slogging conditions causes the board to plow through the water, impeding speed, and killing the flow around the fin such that it produces insufficient lift.

I am unclear as to which method works best and just wanted to pass along some other ideas to try.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 01:12 AM   #8
zincopper

I am not sure as to what works, but I am sure that pumping into a plane and trying to to get upwind planing in marginal conditions really sucks... Gets me nowhere!
Old 6th May 2010, 01:21 AM   #9
zincopper

Oh, and one more thing I dont get... why is it that people describe the iSonic 150 more like a large slalom than a small formula?
Old 6th May 2010, 01:23 AM   #10
Ken

IRL-250,

I believe you are correct about the max width being 85cm, but the rule book on the PWA web site (2006 rules) states the max width is 80cm. I guess they have changed the rule, but not the rule book.

johnk,

I have spent hours and hours racing my formula board in sub planing conditions in the last 8 years. I have tried - flat, sink leeward rail, and sink the windward rail. Sinking the windward works best without a doubt. Ask the people behind me.